Comfort Food

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I cooked this up Wed. the 28th for the comfort food throw down, only to find out there is no 32nd of November!!

Having a paw from the hills of Tennesse, there was a never ending rotation of hill country foods mom would create. Any damn kind of bean this or that with pork feet and s*it, stomach contents and onions, fried chicken guts, Jonny cakes stacked between raw onion, stewed tomatoes, and soft yolk eggs (eewww).
One meal I especially loved was chicken and dumplings, moved out got married and never saw them again. Mom passed and I never even thought about learning how to make this. It took quite a few tries but now I'm Mr. Chicken and Dumplings. Thanks, Ma...

Started off with a mirror paw of sliced onion, celery, carrots in butter. Cook till softish, add 1 1/2 box of chicken stock, throw in chicken, wings and legs detached (cause that's the way Ma did it).

Hour and a half later pulled chicken pieces out, let cool and shred.

Simple is as simple does, add a few dried herbs, mix up some dumpling fixins, (Princess Peggy doesn't like a dumpling) pour in a bowl, throw some butter on top the dumpling, and we eat.

Miss ya Ma.
Ed

One of my all-time favorites, you did your mother proud! If I want that dish around my house, I have to cook it myself. My wife doesn't care for it and the few times that I do get to cook it, the fond memories return of my mother cooking it, as well.
Very, very good!

Back