Cinder block pig roaster question

Why in the ground?!

UUTqSDweCC4StXrz6

The pit will double as a backyard fire pit. We are limited to space here and putting it in the ground allows us to also enjoy our backyard paradise. Only problem I might have is with getting airflow to the coals but I have a post hole auger that will help in digging the air supply tubes down to the bottom where the coals will be. Digging through clay sucks.

Also trying to figure out what to use for the pig rack like the one used in la caja china so we can flip the pig easily.

It's looking nice.
You'll probably want an air source for the hot coals.
When I use my block pit (it's not air tight), I move a block at each end to add hot coals under the hams and shoulders of the pig when needed. The whole pit is covered with sheets of tin.
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2013/06/prepping-and-cooking-pig-on-cinderblock.html

When I cook in an underground pit. I have a hot bed of coals at least a foot deep. Place the wrapped pig on a rack above the coals, cover the whole pit with tin and bury the whole pit (tin and all) with dirt. In this case, I want to keep all air out. I watch for smoke seeping out through the dirt... shovel more dirt on where needed. The pig cooks covered overnight.
https://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/12/cooking-whole-hog-underground.html

Two different methods.

Good luck with your build, it's lookin' good so far!

so how do you plan on adding coals? as the cowgirl mentioned you usually pull a brick...these things are not airtight by any means

Coals will be added from the top and the air will come from verticle air tubes that will turn 90 degrees at the bottom and come out of the block opening on each end of the pit. Thats why theres two blocks turned on their side.

You made up your mind. You took some time- you did the work- it looks great.

I have no idea how many pigs/year you are looking at cooking vs. the evenings just sitting by the fire pit and relaxing. I would think this to be a consideration.

If I were doing 2-3 pigs /year, I would probably have built it at ground level - made it primarily a fire pit- 2 blocks high with stones on top. Stashed 14 blocks out of sight- they stack nicely and add block height to the cooker when it's pork time.

I know this is pretty much after the fact - and unsolicited- but that'd be my action plan.

I'm definitely looking forward to your upcoming cooks - or even shots of the area being used as just a firepit.

good luck, sir.

Coals will be added from the top and the air will come from verticle air tubes that will turn 90 degrees at the bottom and come out of the block opening on each end of the pit. Thats why theres two blocks turned on their side.

How do you get the coals through the grates and under the pig,....sprinkling around the pig is usually not good enough?

I think I would leave the fire pit as is, then add additional layers of block above for whole hog. That way you can access under the grate and pig to add coals. Your air vents can probably be on this level too.

Back