Longish time member/lurker pork butt question

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Hey guys. Been forever since I’ve posted. I’ve lurked a little bit here and there when I got bored. And as much fun as it was reading and posting about bbq the less I enjoyed actually bbqing. So I got simple. I sat back and bbq. Drink some beers. Spend some time with family. Do some yard work….whatever. Took the work out of posting and taking pictures and so on. But here I am back and have a question…. I read all these pork shoulder times and so on. I’ve got 3 shoulders that need to be done at 3 in the afternoon. I don’t care what time and temp just want it done and don’t want to stay up all night feeding stick burner. And I will wrap to speed up process. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Well, you could go hot n fast in about 4 hours. Pork butt is very forgiving. You could also get some nice color and bark going and then wrap and place in the oven at the lowest it will go and probe it when you wake up. Then rest it in a cooler till serving time.

Well overnight is not an option and I'll let someone else recommend cooking ahead and reheating. Also I'm going to assume you mean Boston butts

I'd want 8 hrs to cook, I mean 6 is probably doable, but why push it. Plus an hour to get the pit going and prep. And if you're like me you need 1/2 hour to wake up. That's 9 1/2 hours so I'd need to set an alarm for 5:30am to be comfortable.

My only concern would be if you have a smaller pit. From my experience a loaded pit cooks slower.

Other than that you know the drill. Keep the dial point up on the therm and wrap early if you think you need it.

Cook in advance and reheat...pulled pork is probably *the* most forgiving for reheating, if you vacuum seal and reheat in hot water you wont be able to tell a difference. No concerns about losing sleep, timelines to meet, and hungry guests. When I'm running a stick burner, after having my face in heat and smoke for 8+ hours, about the last thing I want to do is eat the barbecue I cooked.

Cook in advance and reheat...after having my face in heat and smoke for 8+ hours, about the last thing I want to do is eat the barbecue I cooked.

That's true for all of us.

I can't even judge my product until I walk away, take a shower, change my clothes and sleep on it.

My pulled pork is always better as leftovers, assuming I can reheat it right without destroying it. And pulled pork is indeed the most forgiving.

Yeah I’m not opposed to getting up early. Initially I thought about getting up at 3 getting fire going and putting it on at 4. 11 hours would be 3 o clock. Sounds good as long as everything works out the way I want and plan. I’ve just always heard wrap it in foil and it’ll cook faster. Just have never read a sure nuff time frame on wrapping. And there may not be. Just looking for input. Thanks guys!

They usually stall out at around 160-165 internal, due to evaporative cooling. This happens at around 3-4 hours in, depending on your pit temp.

I find that by then the color is really nice, and the smoke has done it's work by then, so that's when I wrap in foil and add a little liquid. After the wrap, you can crank the temps up a bit to power through, just don't go over 300 if your rub has sugar in it.

Don't forget a long rest or hot hold. Pork loves that.

If you have the pit space, butterflying the butt makes them cool quicker and gives you more surface area for bark. You can also get boneless butts at Costco that cook faster with more bark.

I do this a couple times a year. I put on smoker about 7 or 8 in the evening at approx 250. Smoke till about 11 or 12. Till I like color or want to go to bed. Wrap in foil and place in pans. Move to oven for over night cook. I install a probe and check when I get up to pee. I adjust temp as needed to finish in the morning. Cover in towels in a warm ice chest and serve in the afternoon. Still smokin hot

I did that exact thing this morning when I fell asleep with beef ribs holding in the oven.

I meant to hold em for an hour or so, but slept through the alarm.

Got up to pee and had forgotten they were still in the oven.

I guess my bladder knows Q better than I do.

Can we make "Hot hold it and take a nap until you get up to pee" an official brethren approved cooking method?:laugh:

Back