Chicken skin experiment

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Hey somone wanna do a favor for me.

Next person cookign chicken thighs competition style....

throw two one for me outside of what you normally do but do this.

On one remove the skin and scrap it as normal. The fat I mean. Then put the skin back on INSIDE OUT

Then the other DONT scrape it and put it on the same way, inside out. Cook as normal and post the results.

Thanks

Wouldn't it be better to do it yourself so you could judge which you think is better? (unless you already have and want another opinion)

I do thighs, but not comp thighs. Just leave the skin on and let her rip. Or I do boneless/skinless.

One of the comp guys on here may give it a go for ya. :thumb:

Wouldn't it be better to do it yourself so you could judge which you think is better? (unless you already have and want another opinion)

I do thighs, but not comp thighs. Just leave the skin on and let her rip. Or I do boneless/skinless.

One of the comp guys on here may give it a go for ya. :thumb:
Yes. I want another opinion.

Doing leg quarters over cherry tonight. But I put them on a hot gas grill for a few minutes to crisp up the skin.

Anybody taking him up on this?
Chicken is not on my menu this weekend.
I'm waiting for the answer and I have a short attention span.

Anybody taking him up on this?
Chicken is not on my menu this weekend.
I'm waiting for the answer and I have a short attention span.

Yes, but I likely won’t be able to until Monday or Tuesday next week.

On one remove the skin and scrap it as normal. The fat I mean. Then put the skin back on INSIDE OUT

Then the other DONT scrape it and put it on the same way, inside out. Cook as normal and post the results.

Thanks

I have done scraped fat side out in a mold. When go to glaze you get small peaks and valleys because not all fat is removed. If you dis a perfect fat removal job than I think would be same as normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the results are in...

Thanks

Well, the test is complete and the results were quite surprising.

Both turned out great! However, the one scraped was slightly tougher than the one containing more of the fat (makes sense). In addition, the one containing the fat wanted to curl up away from the meat.

Scraped and inside out: tougher
Not scraped and inside out: smooth, buttery-like mouthfeel, but curls terribly if not completely tucked under the meat.

Conclusion: This was a great and fun test. The results proved to warrant further testing for consistency.

I once dropped the bottom (tongue edge) of a thigh into lemonade powder....

i wonder who these days takes the risk to hold their thigh upside down long enough before it hits the box to dust the bottom. It takes THREE chews for the flavor on top to make it to the tongue full blast. This is how that happened. Trying to dust a pulverized rub with extra heat to the BOTTOM. I want to say it was REAL cold (like teens and below freezing in the damn tent and we suspected nearly all entries would arrive to the judge cold. so we punched it up a bit. ONE fell in an open container of country time lemonade. luckily bottom down.

This was our reaction - https://youtu.be/7QIy6o-JRIw?t=9

anyway we had to use the thigh as it was the only one the right size to keep appearance scores from tanking.

So we purposely dunked one of the remaining testers in the crystals -

here was our reaction to the taste.

https://youtu.be/7QIy6o-JRIw?t=9

Back