Chicken Help/Avice

CivilTrojan

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Chad
I received several rubs from Naturiffic and Oakridge for Christmas including q salt, hot salt, jah love, and crucible. To me it seems like these seasonings would be best on chicken, what do you use them on?

I don’t have too much experience cooking chicken different ways and have some new cooking devices that may help me up my game, so would like some advice and suggestions. Usually when we cook chicken it’s boneless, skinless chicken breast and/or chicken legs on the gas grill. We usually just season it right before we cook it also. Unfortunately the chicken usually turns out dry, especially leftovers, which is why I’m looking for advice.

Cookers and devices available are a pellet smoker (not a grill), sous vide, vacuum sealer, gas grill, oven, and stove top. So, how do you season and cook your chicken? Any advice, recommendations, and recipes are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Btw, I’m not too worried about the skin being done any particular way, We usually remove it before eating.

Jah Love is excellent on bird... just follow the directions and make a wet rub with some oil.. I like to let my bird rest in the wet rub for a while before I put it on the grill. I find thighs with bones and skin still in the game work best for me (drumsticks also work well). High indirect heat (400-450ish) with a flip at the midway point. 165F-ish internal at the end game. Keep some moisture inside, but crisp up the skin. It'll make a bulldog break his chain.

PS - Brining is a sure-fire way to keep it super moist. Skin on helps too. It's easy to remove before you eat if you're trying to keep things healthy. Just be sure to season under the skin before you cook if you plan to remove the skin. Just peel it back, season and pull it back over the chicken. Cook at at least 275. 300+ is even better or you're risking rubbery skin.

You can buy pre-made brine blends to which you just add water, but there are plenty of recipes online. Most of them are somewhere along the lines of equal parts of salt and brown sugar and water.

Go to thirdeyes blog I use his lite rub- less salt I use 2 Tbs light brown sugar, 2 Tbs kosher salt a dash of old bay seasoning and a bay leaf I boil it in 2 cups water When boiled and I transfer the brine to a different container I add some honey and 2 cups cold water I let this get ice cold and add the chicken I dom thighs and let them sit in the brine for 2-3 hrs Take them out, rinse and pat try and let them sit for a few hours before putting on rub and then on the grill I make sure I put some rub under the skin too This always comes out excellent

Thanks for all of your help so far! Does anyone ever smoke or sous vide, or some combination of these plus grilling their chicken? If so, does that help with juicier chicken? Also, any advice specifically for boneless skinless chicken breast? That’s the bosses preferred choice of chicken unfortunately.

Also, what’s the difference between dry and wet brine?(other than the fact that in wet the chicken is submerged in liquid) Is one better than the other? I’m really wishing I had gotten some harvest brine now!

Thanks for all of your help so far! Does anyone ever smoke or sous vide, or some combination of these plus grilling their chicken? If so, does that help with juicier chicken? Also, any advice specifically for boneless skinless chicken breast? That’s the bosses preferred choice of chicken unfortunately.

Also, what’s the difference between dry and wet brine?(other than the fact that in wet the chicken is submerged in liquid) Is one better than the other? I’m really wishing I had gotten some harvest brine now!

For breast like that I often sear for color and then go indirect for temp. You could also reverse sear I suppose. Sous vide is great too. Play around with temps to find a texture you like.

A note on temps....if you pull a breast from the cooker at 165 its overcooked. Don't forget to account for carryover. I can pull under 140 and tent to finish. Carryover will take it over 150+ again it's all about a texture you prefer but the lower you pull the juicier it will be. 165 is only a finish temp if you hold for zero seconds. For example holding at 140 for 8.5 min will make it safe.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/thermal-tips-simple-roasted-chicken/

For breast like that I often sear for color and then go indirect for temp. You could also reverse sear I suppose. Sous vide is great too. Play around with temps to find a texture you like.

A note on temps....if you pull a breast from the cooker at 165 its overcooked. Don't forget to account for carryover. I can pull under 140 and tent to finish. Carryover will take it over 150+ again it's all about a texture you prefer but the lower you pull the juicier it will be. 165 is only a finish temp if you hold for zero seconds. For example holding at 140 for 8.5 min will make it safe.

https://blog.thermoworks.com/chicken/thermal-tips-simple-roasted-chicken/

Thanks, that helps a lot!

I use the Jah Love on chicken. Learned the hard way to make a wet rub following the directions. If you just season with it your mouth will get quite warm. It's great used properly. If doing wings that's all I use. If doing a whole bird I may inject with Tony Cachera's jalapeno and butter also.

Back