THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Walmart had these fancy vegetarian chickens on markdown, so I thought I would give them a try.
NUVhcQz.jpg

Removed the backbone, and split them. Then seasoned liberally with Oakrdige Secret Weapon. Put on the bottom rack of the Yoder at 350.
hxYRpRH.jpg

Glazed them with some Head Country at the end.
DlV5wI9.jpg

yNyDFwB.jpg

I feel like a Yoder salesman when i do post like this. But there is so much misinformation out there, I try to set the record straight. I read a lot of people talking about the radiant heat from the Yoder's bottom shelf. I actually think it is a good thing, and it is just another reason it is so versatile. Here is the bottom of the birds, when fully cooked. This is the side that was facing the diffuser plate, the entire cook.
KEy6GBa.jpg

Cut Pic
ZM14EJd.jpg

I have to say, I am a big skeptic when it comes to all the food labels, so I am not saying this bird is better because of the things on the label, but it is significantly better quality meat, than your average Tyson fryer.

Looks fantastic!

I agree on the radiant heat of the diffuser...it works great for chicken. I never liked my butts and ribs at higher than 250 on the bottom rack because of the radiant heat, but it is useful for sure. Truth be told, I actually miss my 640 at times. It’s just a very versatile cooker that can be configured many different ways.

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks delicious Josh!
I'm not sure of the brand name, but I watched a commercial on tv one night that showed "vegetarian" fed chickens in "cage" free pens, chasing bugs through the grass. lol
I'm guessing they meant the feed they "give" them is vegetarian.

I'll agree, it's hard to beat a bird that's raised right. :thumb:

Very nice cook!! The MAK has that intense radiant heat as well at the higher temps. Totally agree with you... I love it, especially for poultry :)

I’m not sure how much the radiant heat is an issue at lower temps. Obviously right over the fire pot will be more intense but I don’t find the bottom shelf to be as bad as most people claim. I also use it for my ABT’s and chicken on high heat like you Josh

Looks fantastic!

I agree on the radiant heat of the diffuser...it works great for chicken. I never liked my butts and ribs at higher than 250 on the bottom rack because of the radiant heat, but it is useful for sure. Truth be told, I actually miss my 640 at times. It’s just a very versatile cooker that can be configured many different ways.

Memphis Elite

Thanks, I agree with pretty much everything. If I am cooking butts or ribs, I am not cooking that hot anyway, so it does come down to the individual. That's why there is no one perfect grill/smoker.

Looks delicious Josh!
I'm not sure of the brand name, but I watched a commercial on tv one night that showed "vegetarian" fed chickens in "cage" free pens, chasing bugs through the grass. lol
I'm guessing they meant the feed they "give" them is vegetarian.

I'll agree, it's hard to beat a bird that's raised right. :thumb:

Yeah, I have raised chickens, and I have seen them eat bugs, worms, snakes, and even mice. That's why I get such a chuckle, when I see vegetarian chicken.

Really nice birds! I feed mine an all natural diet free from animal byproducts and I agree the birds and the eggs from my layers taste much better.

I don't know, I think good quality food is good quality food. The higher protein feeds use fish meal, to get the protein up, the vegetarian feeds use soybeans. Are soybeans better food than fish? I know I prefer chicken eggs when they are getting a higher protein diet. I don't know if it matters if that protein comes from soybeans, fish meal, or bugs. I do know in nature, they would eat the bugs and fish before the soybeans.

Last edited:
Very nice cook!! The MAK has that intense radiant heat as well at the higher temps. Totally agree with you... I love it, especially for poultry :)

I don't know how many times I have read that listed as a negative on the Yoder. I just don't get it. It basically turns the pellet grill into a grill, which most of them aren't

I’m not sure how much the radiant heat is an issue at lower temps. Obviously right over the fire pot will be more intense but I don’t find the bottom shelf to be as bad as most people claim. I also use it for my ABT’s and chicken on high heat like you Josh

I've never had a problem at 250 and below, which is smoking temps for me. Any hotter than that, and I want the radiant heat. As you can see from the pics, even at 350, those chickens didn't get even close to scorched.

Thanks. It is only my second time trying Secret Weapon, but so far I really like it. Going to try it on some ribs a little later.

You’re on the right track. As Mike points out Secret Weapon is really good. I use it on ribs and yardbird both quite a bit. Definitely one of the very best out there. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Dang Josh you've been cooking up a storm... wait that's not right seemings as you are probably cooking between storms. Chicken looks awesome, perfectly cooked!

I've tried that same brand, I do think it's better than for example Tyson 12% added weight birds. :)

Got Cass and her kids tending my meat birds this year while I'm out of town. They think it's fun and it's a good learning experience for her 3 and 10 year old.

You’re on the right track. As Mike points out Secret Weapon is really good. I use it on ribs and yardbird both quite a bit. Definitely one of the very best out there. Enjoy and thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Dang Josh you've been cooking up a storm... wait that's not right seemings as you are probably cooking between storms. Chicken looks awesome, perfectly cooked!

I've tried that same brand, I do think it's better than for example Tyson 12% added weight birds. :)

Got Cass and her kids tending my meat birds this year while I'm out of town. They think it's fun and it's a good learning experience for her 3 and 10 year old.

:laugh: Yeah, strange how a natural bird can be moister than one crammed full of salt water.

Storms have settled for a bit, but that is one of the reasons for the extra cooking time. With the Pellet grill sitting on the back deck, I can pretty much cook through anything, except a power outage. :heh:

Can't beat home raised meat, and it is a great character builder for kids. I did my fair share of tending animals as a kid.

One thing I have noticed on my 640 is that clean up is a little messier, or probably more so that I just haven’t figured out how to do it right.

I’m not foiling the diffuser and the last couple cooks have been greasy so when I go to vacuum out the cook chamber I end up with grease on my arm, above my gloves.

Not really a complaint, it was just easier to get in and out of the smaller grill so I need go figure out a better plan of attack. Also I think newspaper would help to set the shelves on when I have everything pulled apart too.

Sorry end hijack.

Back