Charcuterie Thread

So I didn't make this stuff, but the guy I share an office with on the job I'm on is from St. Louis. He's been talking about this stuff for weeks and went and got some when he was home over the weekend and brought some in. It's from VOLPI FOODS.

The smaller stuff on the left is what he called "Salameets" (that's how it sounded) AKA Salamini.
The larger stuff on the right is soppressata.

He also bought some fresh baked bread from an Italian Bakery.

We just sacrificed one of my binders to slice it all up and have lunch.
DANG it was good.....

P3030076_zps5yer5cri.jpg

P3030077_zpsgjkdgg0i.jpg

Salami%20Keith%20Fairchild%202_zps7cicfkae.jpg

P3030080_zpsxhtdhwrh.jpg

I think you need BP meds just to view this thread! :shock:

Now one of you please fedex me some cured meat!!

It sounds like a cold smoked pancetta with an extra long hanging time? Can't wait to see it! I think mine was about 3 months in the chamber.. I neglected to write down a start date.. May have been 4 months, not sure

So I didn't make this stuff, but the guy I share an office with on the job I'm on is from St. Louis. He's been talking about this stuff for weeks and went and got some when he was home over the weekend and brought some in. It's from VOLPI FOODS.

The smaller stuff on the left is what he called "Salameets" (that's how it sounded) AKA Salamini.
The larger stuff on the right is soppressata.

He also bought some fresh baked bread from an Italian Bakery.

We just sacrificed one of my binders to slice it all up and have lunch.
DANG it was good.....

P3030076_zps5yer5cri.jpg

P3030077_zpsgjkdgg0i.jpg

Salami%20Keith%20Fairchild%202_zps7cicfkae.jpg

P3030080_zpsxhtdhwrh.jpg

Volpi is/has always been good. There is a new shop in St. Louis http://www.salumebeddu.com/

They have some really good stuff. I prefer them over Volpi now. I have had their hot dogs (think Mortadella), Guanciale, Nduja, and both their fiama and bolognese salsiccia.

Yes, it is a spicy coppa. Great flavor, I liked it a lot better than the kind with all the cinnamon and juniper type spices. I'll try to find the recipe, I think I wrote it down somewhere. I looked a few different ones and combined the things I liked from each.

Yes, it is a spicy coppa. Great flavor, I liked it a lot better than the kind with all the cinnamon and juniper type spices. I'll try to find the recipe, I think I wrote it down somewhere. I looked a few different ones and combined the things I liked from each.

I have been doing the same things. Taking bits and pieces and combining them. I prefer a little spice to mine as well.

I totally agree. If I want juniper, I'll take it in a chilled glass with a couple of olives. Does it count as charcuterie if I use Beefeaters?

Pulled this out of the chamber a couple of days back. Resisted the urge as I wait for its counterpart to be ready. Cut a belly in half and treated each half the same except for a little cold smoking.

This is the unsmoked..........it's smoked cousin is lagging behind a little bit.

Itching to do the side by side comparison but waiting until they have equal weight loss %.

This is a hell of a hobby when you don't have much patience.

Back