Charcoal source wood and binders ?!?!?!

Thanks for joining the discussion. I agree. On one level "wood is wood" and if there is no detectable difference in the final product (BBQ) then why worry. I know that when I step up my game on meat selection I see a huge difference in the final outcome. My worry is that I invest in higher-quality meats and then bath them in "borax" for hours.

I know that they say that heat comes from the charcoal and flavor comes from the wood (Apple, Hickory etc.), but I'm looking to better understand if it does make a difference and if so, how much. I've found that when I step up to premium brands I worry less about the overall cook. It might just be marketing and me trying to justify the extra money spend on the product.

When companies like Jealous Devil pull back the curtain and show me exactly what is in the product, where it comes from and they control the entire process, I feel I'm upping my charcoal game to the level of my meat selection etc.

What I do like is that there are options out there. Just like any product category you can pick a range of price and quality options. Some of the higher-end lump products, while easy to get online and many with free shipping, you can't find them in a convenient retail outlet. If I want to head to the corner to Wally World, I'm going to come home with Big Blue or a bag of Cowboy Pieces.

Happy New Year. Happy Smokin'

Out of curiosity, I figured I would look up Jealous Devil and see what it is all about. Boy, did I end up going down a rabbit hole. Jealous Devil is made from the South American tree quebracho blanco. Know what else is made from that same tree? An extract made from the bark contains yohimbine, which is used to treat erectile dysfunction.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12050513

Kinda gives new meaning to the term "hardwood." :shock:

Back