Charcoal & ash storage

Gimmethecash

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Steven
Another “help me spend money” thread.

I’ve been dumping charcoal briqs & lump from the bag to the cooker and using my fireplace ash can for ashes, and I need a better solution, one that frees up a little space and doesn’t require moving stuff in & out of the garage before & after every time the weatherman says it might rain - or dumping ashes every couple times I cook outside.

I’m thinking some plastic trash cans with lids would be better than nothing, but I’m sure there are some nice, simple solutions here. I’m not planning to build anything, just store a couple/few bags’ worth of charcoal and several ash can loads of ashes.

What have you guys got?

I bought a deck box for the patio that holds everything bbq related and is a few feet from my cookers. It protects everything from the elements and helps stay efficient and organized.

I use this.
It works well to seal out weather, but size is limited

https://www.amazon.com/Buddeez-King...=1617899069&sprefix=kingsford+,aps,203&sr=8-1

Not for ash obviously

I’ve looked at those - yeah a little small for my needs, I’d like to be able to store a couple of the larger bags of lump or a few bags of briquettes in each. Plus a can for ash.

I bought a deck box for the patio that holds everything bbq related and is a few feet from my cookers. It protects everything from the elements and helps stay efficient and organized.

Probably not an option for me, I’ll want to be able to move the cans around from time to time and I’ll need to keep ash around between trips to the main trash. I need the containers more than covered storage. I do look at deck boxes and small plastic sheds for storage from time to time though.

I pretty much just keep charcoal in the bags but, in a shed with all my cooking stuff. I do put and mix pellets in a metal garbage can that works well. Maybe you could get a small one for the ashes which, I dump in the firepit.

I keep my charcoal in a big roll around garbage can. I have a bucket and scoop to clean out the ashes. I store those in a plastic cat litter bucket a friend gave me. When the bucket gets full I pour the ashes in a trash bag and put it in an empty box to carry to the curb.

I just keep charcoal in the bags. No need to reinvent the wheel. :mrgreen:
As far as ash disposal, this might sound odd but works great, no mess. I have some low spots in my yard. Behind my garage out of site I dug two holes with post hole diggers about 3ft deep. The dirt was used for low spots and ashes go in the holes. I can always find a low spot somewhere.

I keep charcoal, tumbleweeds, starters, gloves, wire brush, etc. in one of these on my back patio by my Shirley 24x36: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rubbermaid...BRUTE-32G-VENTED-RETAIL-COMBO-GRAY/1002102852 . I live in FL and this keeps everyhing out of the rain and I don't have to bring it from the garage. Ashes from the ash pan in the Shirley get dumped in the back yard......we have a very natural yard and washed in with the next rain. These cans come in smaller sizes too.

Charcoal stays in the bag under my Assassin 48”. Both are kept under the cover of the patio. Ashes get swept after every cook and dumped in the yard.

These... They come in 6 and 10 gallon sizes and the lids fight tight.

6106-Can-Main.jpg

https://www.behrensmfg.com/product/6-gallon-locking-lid-can/

Thanks!

Just ordered a couple of the Rubbermaid 32-gallon plastic trash cans with lids as cdhbrad suggested, and (even before seeing his post) the 6-gallon Behrens can kcmike suggested for ashes. Should be all set, thanks guys!

I also ordered the Santa Maria grill attachment for my Weber to play with while I wait for my grill to arrive in (per the current estimate) August. I’m going to light a test fire in it once I’m finished with work today, because that’s the kind of pyro I am. I’ll probably wind up using the fixed grate and throwing on some thin-cut pork chops my wife bought while I’m at it, because that’s the kind of “don’t waste a fire” kind of cook I am.

Just ordered a couple of the Rubbermaid 32-gallon plastic trash cans with lids as cdhbrad suggested, and (even before seeing his post) the 6-gallon Behrens can kcmike suggested for ashes. Should be all set, thanks guys!

I also ordered the Santa Maria grill attachment for my Weber to play with while I wait for my grill to arrive in (per the current estimate) August. I’m going to light a test fire in it once I’m finished with work today, because that’s the kind of pyro I am. I’ll probably wind up using the fixed grate and throwing on some thin-cut pork chops my wife bought while I’m at it, because that’s the kind of “don’t waste a fire” kind of cook I am.

Can you post a link to that santa maria attachment?

Here you go: http://gabbysgrills.com/product/gabbys-grill-attachment/

It looks pretty well made, I’ve seen it used in several YT vids.

Pork chops tonight “live fire style” were quite tasty, everyone tore them up. I had no issues at all maintaining a nice fire in my kettle, but it would have been much easier if I’d had the attachment to lift the grate, as the pork was too close to the heat & had to be constantly shuffled. Still, it was a successful experiment and I’m looking forward to cooking more meat over an open fire/coals.

I keep the charcoal in the Performers built in storage compartment. For ash, after a few cooks I dump the cold ashes in a double bagged plastic store bag.
Ed

I use what kcmike posted for charcoal and chunks. I use a larger metal can for pellets. My ashes get scattered in the yard or on ant hills when they pop up. And that Santa Maria attachment is nice.

I started dumping my ashes around the back yard, but I ran out of good places quickly. Now I make sure it’s had plenty of time to cool and just bag it & throw it in the trash. Having a 6-gallon ash can will reduce the frequency with which I need to perform that task.

My 32-gallon cans for charcoal showed up already today, they look great and I’m really happy with them already, though I still have to wait for the lids to arrive before I can fill them. The Santa Maria grill attachment should be here tomorrow, can’t wait to try some beef on it.

I keep charcoal in the bag til used.Ashes go into the flower bed or around shrubs.Best fertilizer ever!

I use this, I get a bag of lump, bag of charcoal, 3-4 bags of wood various wood chunks, torch, third hand, and a few more items in it. Never been wet inside yet.

They have a bigger model as well.

Attachments

• 85149EFC-F3E8-4EF9-AE20-FC62B14F9F6E.jpg
    85149EFC-F3E8-4EF9-AE20-FC62B14F9F6E.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 19
Back