Charcoal and cancer risk ???

This is kinda how I look at it. I think it's a good comparison. Everything causes cancer, hell even cell phones give you brain cancer now. Water is bad I'm gonna stay away from it

Last edited:
Life is to short to worry over such frivolities so my friends Eat Drink and be Merry for tomorrow we die!
J Christ (Luke 12:22)
"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink"

HCAs are not found in significant amounts in foods other than meat cooked at high temperatures. PAHs can be found in other charred foods, as well as in cigarette smoke and car exhaust fumes.

There's your answer if your very healthy and environmentally conscious wife drives a vehicle or breathes she should be worried or just enjoy this day!

This thread has been a very interesting read for me... just my 2 cents... I'm no MD but have been in the clinical environment and now selling research equipment for 15+ yrs to some of the brightest minds @ Duke, UNC, NIEHS and the biotech/pharmas. I've also watched my father, who was exposed to Agent Orange, battle cancer with chemo, radiation, and even an autologous stem cell transplant over the course of 10 yrs (before metatasis to his liver and lymph system & his death). I've also been actively involved as an EMT, in the ER, & in the burn center for people of all ages during trauma situations that die way to early.

For me, I've found that balance is key... Enjoy life..It's not a given...If you eat lots of meat and like alcohol, then balance that out with robust amounts of fresh raw foods... I've always loved to grill but found a love for BBQ from this website while recovering from donating a kidney to my younger brother.

I've found that the only way not to feel like chit after a meat extravaganza is to balance it with whole fruit raw smoothies in the Vitamix.. I'd never eat Kale or sufficient quantities of Spinach without adding them into smoothies of pineapple, apples, watermelon, ginger, cayenne, etc... Talk about a juice high.. If you haven't tried it, definitely make it a priority..Hell you'll then have the tools to make the best damn margaritas you've ever had just bad adding great 100% Agave Tequila, some Simply Limeade, and whatever fresh fruit that you want (strawberry, mango, watermelon, cherries etc)...

Long story short, I agree with the post about knowing and listening to your body. I was a huge craft beer fan pre-donation but listening to my body post donation tells me that wheat beers make me feel like chit even after 1. Injecting your diet with whole raw fresh foods provides a HUGE decrease in free radicals in your system and more importantly all that fiber provides the cleanse to get out toxins that linger...The addtl hydration flushes the system while the added nutrients jump start cell performance and the immune system.

Processed foods, GMO foods, and artificial flavors are the culprits for many of today's medical issues... If you want chocolate, vanilla, or butter flavor, eat the real thing...I highly doubt you'd take a shot of the chemicals that make up that flavor so why accept them when mixed into something that resembles the real product....

Thanks again for an amazing website with a hugely diverse fun loving group.. The amount of knowledge shared here is an insane value that touches not only our lives but every friend, family member, and neighbor that enjoys the food we make.... Would be a shame to subject them to boiled ribs. :tape:

Brian

Wow, I didn't realize this was an old thread when I started reading. It is interesting.

I think certain things do cause cancer, or help the cells grow faster. Am I gonna eliminate grilled food because it's a culprit on somebody's research study? NO FARKING WAY! I smoked Camels for almost 12 years, drank heavily for about 8 of those, chased women, and liked to spout my mouth of every now and then when I shoulda kept it shut. If someday all that catches me then so be it.

Benzene was mentioned here somewhere. It's in petroleum products. Workers in plants wear exposure badges to indicate the levels around them. Everybody hold your breath when you put gas in your vehicle.

Coffee creamer/whitener, the powdered stuff, it's flammable. Requires a hazmat endorsement on a CDL to haul it. Enjoy your morning coffee!

For every study spewing doom and gloom there's another blowing rainbows and bubbles about the same product.

Don't be scared of life. Respect it and have some common sense as you enjoy it.

Thanks to Kevin for resurrecting this thread. Mine was post 18:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2011393&postcount=18

And thanks to uncblue and caseydog for their personal touch.
I went through chemo twice.

I attribute organic gardening for much of the credit for still breathing.

BTW: I still use Kingsford briquettes for grilling even though I know that one of the main ingredients is anthracite coal. I just don't grill much compared to smoking; and that's with 100% pure wood.

Back