Changing up my Butt Rubs

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello

I took advantage of the sale on pork shoulder blade roasts at Wegmans for $.99/lb (thanks to IamMadMan for point me to the sale). I picked up 3 roasts and I think I'm going to run them all at the same time tomorrow and keep some vacuum packed leftovers.

Now on to the point... in the past I've mostly done The Renowned Mr. Brown or Chris Lily's injection with whatever rub was on hand. I'm looking try something new with at least two of these guys. Of course I know this is a loaded question but I'm looking for some ideas on what to try. I don't mind homemade or purchasing rubs. Mostly want to broaden my horizons a bit more than the two recipes I mentioned above.

Here are some of the ones I'm considering (but not limited to but I have some of them on hand):
1) Killer Hogs BBQ Rub
2) Dizzy Dust
3) Adkins Chicken and Pork Rub
4) Butt Glitter
5) Yardbird
6) 3eyz Championship Blend
7) Some recipe folks are will or have shared in the past :)

I can inject but I probably won't despite the fact that IamMadMan mentioned that these blade roasts can be leaner than Boston butts.

Anyway thoughts?

Thanks
Sam

K.H. is O.K.,Malcolm is a local boy.I prefer DizzyDust "coarse grind".It is my ( go to) seasoning.Chris and his Dizzy Pig Seasoning team strive for quality.The DD Coarse is better for large cuts of meat.Either is good.I have not tried the others you mention,so I cannot comment on those.

Oakridge Secret Weapon, Sucklebusters Hog Waller along with Killer Hogs The Rub is my main three.

I'd like to be the odd-ball here for a minute.

I've discovered that going with SPOG at the start for a Butt (or Picnic) truly is a great idea. It's provided a great base of flavor and seasoning, while not falling subject to some of the heat-related flavor loss issues of other rubs.

Once the pork is cooked, and is pulled/chopped - I highly suggest adding back the juices (and a bit of fat) from the joint along with the really flavorful rub to provide the best experience on the back end of the cook.

That's just my own 2 cents, and I'm always welcome to other input and suggestions.
Lord knows I've cooked plenty of butts "both ways."

Kind regards and thin blue,
Shadow

It’s 50 degrees tomorrow after being under 20 for most of today. I might have to find more food to throw on the smoker to celebrate. I have a small hot sausage roll they might be my first fatty.

The blade roast will respond well to an injection.

If you're hesitant, you could always inject one and compare it against the others.

The blade roast will respond well to an injection.

If you're hesitant, you could always inject one and compare it against the others.

Absolutely no issues with injecting here other than it takes a bit more time and the only injection I have ever used is Chris Lily’s on shoulders. I’d have to find an injection recipe and experiment with that as well so I was thinking of limiting the variables.

So I got all three shoulders on alongside a tiny fatty which I’m making for the first time.

We’ll be featuring
1) Yardbird
2) SYD recipe rub
3) SPOG

I did not inject but I did put drip trays underneath to defat and reintroduce later. My only concern at the moment is I have dinner plans tonight which both means I can’t eat these bad boys tonight and two I might have to transfer to the oven after 7 hrs in smoke which should be plenty good.

Thanks for all the awesome recommendations.

We got sat late at dinner thus I got home late and I way overshot my goal. 215 F when I pulled them from the oven. Depressing for the amount of work I put in. I vented them and put them to rest for some time.

Last edited:
So I took the meat out of the oven, vented it, then wrapped it back up and stuck it in a cooler overnight. Temped them out in the morning and they were still in the 130s which is considered safe for a long duration hold. I then chilled them due to more personal obligation which would keep me from shredding and vacuum packing on the spot. Got home, shredded them, reintroduced the drippings with the seasoning, then vacuum packed and in the freezer to be enjoyed another day.

I picked at them while I was doing the packing to just check the flavor. Much to my shock the SPOG on was my favorite but granted they were cold.

Here’s a picture at 160 before wrapping and going in the oven (left to right as if you can tell the difference is Yardbird, SYD’s shared recipe, and SPOG):

Attachments

• 5042BFE8-168E-47AD-AE3C-0783F04D1CEE.jpg
    5042BFE8-168E-47AD-AE3C-0783F04D1CEE.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 91
Oh and here’s the fatty. I’ll put up a picture of the elk chili separately if I have time.

Attachments

• 367DFF30-69EE-4FB8-8535-D03CD1D3D993.jpg
    367DFF30-69EE-4FB8-8535-D03CD1D3D993.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 88
Back