CFS help

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
ok guys and gals, I need some help with my chicken fried steak game. I've tried tons of different methods, but I can never seem to get the coating to stick like it should. Everyone loves the flavor, but the coating always seems to come off when cutting/eating it.

Here's my current method and has gotten me the closest, but still not quite there.

Take some cube steak and liberally season it with seasoning salt and garlic powder. Into the fridge overnight. Next day, take the meat, pat it dry with paper towels, then into seasoned flour. Shake the excess off, then into a mixture of buttermilk, eggs and franks hot sauce. Let the excess drip off, then back into the flour mixture. Then let it rest on a cooling rack, while I warm the oil up, I try to use just enough oil that it goes almost up the sides of the CFS and not on the top. Fry in the oil until it's golden brown, then flip and do the other side the same way. Drain on paper towels for about 5 minutes before serving.

It makes a nice crust on the meat, but it just doesn't seem to stick well. Any thoughts on what I can do to get it better?

I season the steaks, dip em in the seasoned flour first, then the egg/milk, or buttermilk bath, then into the seasoned flour.
Back into the egg/milk bath... seasoned flour once more.
Place them on a rack to "dry" a bit and let the coating set before frying.

Pretty much double dip em, let em dry before frying.
Sometimes I add panko to the last season floured dredge.

Good luck with it Mike! I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you. :grin:

An old post about it.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274882

Last edited:
I've read that there's two things that cause breading to fall off. Not letting it sit long enough, so that it almost turns into a dough and the oil temp is too low. Start at 350 or higher, but don't let it fall below 325.

Also if you add corn starch to your flour mixture, it'll make it extra crispy, Michael Symon tip.

Back