Central Texas BBQ roadtrip: what to order at these joints ? ...

What a wonderful trip and write up - thank you!!!

I realized my top 5 ideal places would be Franklin, Louie Mueller, Snow's, J Mueller, and La Barbecue. I have 3 lunch slots, and am going to try Louie Mueller, J Mueller, and La Barbecue. Would LOVE to do Franklin and Snow's but on this upcoming trip leaving my group super early to drive and/or stand in line just ain't gonna happen.

Going to read your notes more carefully and potentially adjust my plan - thank you again!

We would always stop at the original Kreuz (Smitty's) and pick up a box of hot links when we would camp at the bottom of Panther Canyon in the Devil's Backbone.

Good write up!!! I'm really glad that you made it to Southside Market in Elgin, you're right they're about the best sausage makers in Texas IMO. Sorry the pork ribs weren't very good, of course,... not to make excuses but we are more about the beef down here.:mrgreen: Still, I'm glad that Franklin was able to serve you a decent pork rib to make up for previous disappointments and I'm sure that you'll have better pork experiences in the rest of your trip of the U.S..:thumb:

Holy cow Ralph, just found this thread. Was great to meet you friday, but I must say I am now concerned that my small venture didnt hold a candle to the places in Texas you have visited. Do we at least get extra points for having a private bourbon/cigar room? Wish I would of had time to spend more time with you and your family. Hopefully we will meet again, safe travels!

Sorry to hear you got a dry chop at Kruez! Sounds overall like a great trip though & thanks for the insightful writeup. There really is something special about those Central TX BBQ joints and the people who cook that awesome food.

Back