Cast Iron griddle cleaning

TealStBBQKing

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeff
I've got a cast iron griddle that is mainly used for pancakes. I treat this griddle the same way I do my cast iron skillet however, as you can see, there is a spot forming where you can see the pancakes being made. The outside of this ring is very sticky. I've scrubbed and scrubbed these spots with soap, sponge, salt, but I cannot get it clean . I wipe it down with canola oil after each use but the circle and sticky outside remain. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20200104_190500.jpg
    IMG_20200104_190500.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 266
Some cool water on there while it’s still warm and scrape that area to make sure it’s not food residue.

Then, the answer to all cast iron seasoning issues. Cook some Bacon on there. It will help even out the seasoning.

My only suggestion would be to simmer water on it for a few mins. Might not be possible, I can’t tell with the lip. But as the wise has already stated, cook some bacon on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips! After cooking the bacon do I clean it as usual? Or skip the soap to let the seasoning set in/up?

Thanks for the tips! After cooking the bacon do I clean it as usual? Or skip the soap to let the seasoning set in/up?

I've always thought soap and cast iron are like oil and water. Never put the two together cuz they don't mix.
The only cleaning I ever do on my Blackstone is just what was suggested above. A bit of water while it's still hot and finish with a VERY light coat of veg oil if it's going to be awhile before the next cook.

I've always thought soap and cast iron are like oil and water. Never put the two together cuz they don't mix.

The only cleaning I ever do on my Blackstone is just what was suggested above. A bit of water while it's still hot and finish with a VERY light coat of veg oil if it's going to be awhile before the next cook.

This is a myth, kind of. The whole “no soap on cast iron” is because soap used to contain lye, which would strip the seasoning. No lye in soap now a days so it is completely safe for cast iron. Somewhere I have Wagner instructions from the 50’s instructing people to used soap for clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe too much soap / too aggressive on trying to clean it.

Bacon / beef tallow for as many times as you can. Wipe it with newspaper if dirty. Try and keep the soap to an absolute minimum.

Recently just bought this exact griddle, so interested to know how you go.

Cheers!

Update, I bought the lodge cleaning kit and I made bacon this morning. It might be hard to see in the picture but I think there is already a big difference. Thanks everyone for the advice and help

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_094240.jpg
    IMG_20200111_094240.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 112
Back