Carnitas/pulled pork

bob3

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm looking to make carnitas or mexican style pulled pork for a Cinco de Mayo party and need some help. I've cooked plenty of pulled pork and I wonder do I just find a mexican style rub recipe or is there more to it. Any help would be appreciated!

Carnitas is made using a very specific method of cooking where you braise the pork in its own fat.

You can use a wide variety of methods to add Mexican flavors to pulled pork. Smoke it for a few hours and then pan it with some liquid and any number of combinations. Green chilies, adobo, chipotle peppers, ancho or guajillo chilies, etc.

I’ve also made killer pulled pork tacos simply by pouring a jar of salsa over some frozen pulled pork and reheating. Doesn’t have to be crazy.

HQsjmr3l.jpg

I do this almost everytime I have pulled pork leftovers. I shred the pork, toss with Goya Mojo marinade (shown below), sprinkle some chili powder and cumin.

The key to getting them to crisp up like the authentic/fried method is to use your oven broiler. After you toss and season, put on a baking sheet under the broiler for 5-10 minutes.

Serve with onion, cilantro, lime and avacado.

goya-marinades-redesign-pi-global.png

Back