Capon with Naturiffic Harvest Brine - Not BBQ - but still a Capon

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.

Naturiffic Harvest Brine Capon - Not BBQ - But a Capon is still a Capon

Capon.....

I always get asked, what is a capon?

In 1913, farmer George Beuoy began marketing capons. Capons fetched four times the price per pound of a typical chicken, and are still close to that price ratio today. Some will look at the price and walk away simply because they have never have eaten such tender flavorful chicken. Today, the capon has nearly disappeared from view. When capons pop up in stores or on restaurant menus, most people assume that they’re game birds, or perhaps a type of Cornish hen. But because hormonal changes caused by caponization allows more fat to build up both below the skin and within muscle, capons come with the promise of a substantial amount of buttery, tender, sweet meat.

Well to put it simply, a capon is a delicacy, mostly forgotten by time because of corporate greed. Most chicken products we buy at the store are butchered at 8 weeks of age. A capon takes months to raise to ensure a great food product. A capon is a rooster that has been castrated at a very young age. The reason a rooster is made into a capon is the final superior quality of the meat. But also, a capon is less aggressive than a rooster and is easier for the farmer to handle. The lack of testosterone causes fat to build up in the rooster's muscles which create a tender, more flavorful meat. Sadly the male chicks in most hatcheries are simply killed because they have no profitable benefit to the producers. However they could be turned into capons.

Capon meat is very tender and more flavorful, when compared to chicken. Capon meat is also relatively fatty and it has a high ratio / proportion of white meat. The difference between capon meat and rooster meat is due to the absence of sexual hormones. The lack of testosterone allows more fat to form on the bird's muscles making them tender and buttery. Castration makes the roosters less aggressive, which means they are also less energetic than other poultry, which helps their meat to stay tender.

I am always asked if it is really worth $3.50 a pound; Hell Yes!!!! To say chicken is chicken is like saying beef is beef. Order a steak and you'd be disappointed if they brought you a tough grilled flank steak, so When you think of Capon think of a the buttery soft tender Prime graded beef tenderloin. I agree it may not be for everybody, but for those who love great food, capon is a great choice.

I decided to use Naturiffic Harvest Brine on the Capon, not because it needs it, but because I had great a results when I tested it. I ran a test a few days ago on an oven stuffer roaster to make sure that the natural taste of the chicken was not covered over by the dry brine. The flavor of the chicken remained the shining star after the cook, the Naturiffic Harvest Brine only complimented the natural flavors of the chicken while keeping it incredibly moist.

enhance

Purchased a 10 pound Capon at the Base Commisarry
enhance

Out of the package, it simply looks like a giant breast with two tiny legs
enhance

Surface dry brine applied, close-up view
enhance

Wrapped and ready for a 24 hour sit in the refrigerator
enhance

Out of the wrapper and ready to go into the oven
enhance

To Be Continued

In the oven 2 hours, starting to brown
enhance

Last edited:
Awesome!!!

Just figured out our Christmas dinner...always like to make something...we have never had.

I looked and found a source in KC

This was the first time I used a free range capon, while the meat was just slightly firmer in muscle striation (noticeable in the legs), it was still every bit as tender as it should be. The most important thing here is not to overcook it. Pull it at 164/165°, lightly tent it for 30 - 40 minutes, then completely uncovered for another 5 minutes before slicing.

As you cut into it there will be a deluge of juices to flood the pan, so I suggest you trim in the roasting pan or your platter will overflow.

Good lookin' bird. :thumb: Never had capon, but would love to try it.

Great post, IAMM! :clap2: Your threads are always very informative, detailed, thorough,

Muchas gracias, that looks outstanding! Did not know of capon, I have been educated!

I had no idea such a thing existed but now want to try one. Thanks for the informative post.

Well to put it simply, a capon is a delicacy, mostly forgotten by time because of corporate greed. Most chicken products we buy at the store are butchered at 8 weeks of age. A capon takes many months to raise to ensure a great food product.

Also there was a sharp decline in Capon popularity in the 1960's when chemists found an easy way of chemical castration to bulk up the bird with injections as well as giving it large amounts of female hormones to combat their natural inherent aggressiveness. The end result was that medical studies found that the addition of these hormones had adverse effects, especially on children. To compound the problem some producers had thought if a little is good, maybe a little more would be better.

Shortly thereafter, the government had placed a ban on the use of these hormones in raising chickens. This why many families stopped buying the birds for the holidays, thus the knowledge that they existed ceased to be passed down to younger generations.

Back