THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kanco Connection

is Blowin Smoke!
Our turn to help provide food for Sunday morning church group and I could use some ideas.

My wife always does pastries. She nails it every time, but I’m not involved in that. There’s about 80 in our community most mornings and we’re signed up with another couple, so we’ve got help, but I need to do some heavy lifting on this I think.

Here’s the deal: before community is service, so whatever we take has to be able to hold for almost two hours, or be able to quickly reheat. So egg casseroles, for example, often aren’t in the greatest shape after holding that long. I made a bunch of ABTs one time and they held just fine, and I’ve done pulled pork. And fatties with biscuits were good. Just looking for other options.

Usually leaving the house with all the food around 8:00 and then serving food about 9:45, so holding a good couple hours. Preferably food that resembles breakfast or brunch. I could go back to fatties, I guess. What would you do?

Hmmmm, what is the other couple bringing? Machaca (egg based recipe) would hold up just fine. Would need to be kept warmish. Would go well made with pulled pork or even crumbled fatties.

You have any large coolers or cambros? Does the church have a kitchen?

Lots of bacon candy would rock too, but more of an appetizer.

Bob

I was going to suggest fatties and biscuits, but sounds like you have been there, done that. How about a crock pot full of gravy and biscuits? Hash, Ham and potato casserole, breakfast burritos. Just a few ideas.

Hmmmm, what is the other couple bringing? Machaca (egg based recipe) would hold up just fine. Would need to be kept warmish. Would go well made with pulled pork or even crumbled fatties.

You have any large coolers or cambros? Does the church have a kitchen?

Lots of bacon candy would rock too, but more of an appetizer.

Bob

Don’t know what the other couple is bringing and i bet they don’t know either—they’re not planners. We’re actually on July 8–I’m just planning ahead.

Not familiar with machaca. I’ll have to google it. My cambro is just a decent-size cooler. The church has a kitchen—a little bit of a pain to get into and use amongst other communities getting in there but usable if needed. Don’t know anything about bacon candy but sounds irresistible....Thanks Bob

You're welcome, and you should start looking up recipes for bacon candy immediately!! It just might be the best food in the world. At it's simplest, it is laid out on a sheet pan, covered in brown sugar and baked until crispy. I like to add a little chipotle powder to the sugar, for a little kick, but is good either way.

Thank you Josh. Those sound like delicious ideas.

Biscuits and smoked bologna. They will expect bacon or sausage. Dazzle them with a few chubs of good smoked bologna. It keeps and reheats very well.

Reason I asked about the kitchen is that a large foil pan of machaca could be kept warm in an oven on low. If they have an oven, lots of casserole type stuff would work.

Google egg based machaca. Good stuff with a pico de gallo.

Bob

You're welcome, and you should start looking up recipes for bacon candy immediately!! It just might be the best food in the world. At it's simplest, it is laid out on a sheet pan, covered in brown sugar and baked until crispy. I like to add a little chipotle powder to the sugar, for a little kick, but is good either way.

Why have I not heard of this before?! This looks awesome and supposedly keeps at room temp. Just a quick google search led me to the Killer Hogs guys:

http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1482

:thumb:

There is a place, Rudolph’s, here in Dallas, they have homemade bologna and other sausages.

How about some chicken apple breakfast sausages and grits? Or Polenta (mush) fried and held warm. Or Red beans and rice with some chopped brisket for a topping?

Smoke bologna—never attempted it but sounds fun and they’d never see it coming. Not legal outside of the BBQ belt, is it?

Not sure where it is legal, but here in OK, that is one of the first things you learn to smoke. Hard to beat a day of fishing, and a smoked bologna and cheese sandwich. Even if you don't like bologna, you will like it smoked.
picture.php

Not sure where it is legal, but here in OK, that is one of the first things you learn to smoke. Hard to beat a day of fishing, and a smoked bologna and cheese sandwich. Even if you don't like bologna, you will like it smoked.
picture.php

One of my favorite cooks and always a big hit.:thumb:

I knew i came to the right place for suggestions.

For all the smoking I’ve done I’ve never done bologna and I’ve also never done pork belly burnt ends. Is that a viable option for a breakfast reheat? Not sure what I’d be getting myself into with that but seems like something I need to try...it’s kind of breakfasty since it’s baconish...

I knew i came to the right place for suggestions.

For all the smoking I’ve done I’ve never done bologna and I’ve also never done pork belly burnt ends. Is that a viable option for a breakfast reheat? Not sure what I’d be getting myself into with that but seems like something I need to try...it’s kind of breakfasty since it’s baconish...

If candy bacon is the best food on earth, pork belly burnt ends is the second. I really don't consider them breakfast, but then again, I ate spare ribs for breakfast this morning. You could call it brunch. Throw in a crock pot of good cheesy grits, and I might come.

Back