Can a Pellet Grill Fool a Texas Pitmaster?

I subscribe to their channels (Mad Scientist & Chuds) I watched that video yesterday and saw through their act. They both work with Camp Chef which looses a little credibility with me, however I don't doubt that the pellet smoker is good.

My hybrid offset/pellet smoker puts out some of the best Q everyone who's tasted has had. Ive thought about modifying a Bradley puck pooper to poop out solid wood pucks to remove the middleman adding chunks every 30 minutes.

I love my Pit Boss and it turns out some really good food. It's not going anywhere. But it's not anywhere close to what my Shirley vertical puts out. And it's not supposed to. Totally different cookers but both great in their class.

I love my Pit Boss and it turns out some really good food. It's not going anywhere. But it's not anywhere close to what my Shirley vertical puts out. And it's not supposed to. Totally different cookers but both great in their class.

You can't compare a non modified Pit Boss to a Woodwind pro or any other Pellet smoker that is able to burn chunks or logs.

Hybrid offset/ pellet cooker?? What?

-D

20230508-211219.jpg

20230509-165037.jpg

20230508-211519.jpg

20230508-210712.jpg

20230508-211603.jpg

Hybrid offset/ pellet cooker?? What?

-D

Here is original guy who posted the idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=twHyWAUBTy0

The challenge is that you need a setup that enables you to access the wood chunks during the cook. In my case, I attached the pellet hopper to the firebox of an offset smoker so access is a breeze.

Then you have to decide which method you are going to use. You can either burn separate charcoal basket that fires the chunks and sits along side of the pellets or the simpler way is to just burn the wood chunks right on top of pellet fire pot

I started using the first method, but find myself using the direct burn method more often now. Less hassle and same flavor.

The fully combusting wood chunks definitely make a difference in flavor and smoke ring! The smell is incredible!

My first attempt several years ago using side-by-side method:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271248

Then follow-up with true pellet-assist with the burnpot igniting the wood:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284891

There are other possibilities though. Look at what this guy did with a kettle grill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlRzzRMr1Q

Pellet cooker brisket went straight to top rack to get distance from fire pot

That's real deal pellet cooking.

Get your meat Snoop Dog High

I've no idea what if any relationship is amongst the celebrities. One said absolutely zero compensation. A good cut of meat, seasoned right, add heat and smoke. Personally I try to keep my full Packers in the 9-11# range. I shape remove hard fat but don't scalp.

I enjoy the side by side science projects. Good video

Exactly. That's why when I decided to replace my old Pit Boss pellet pooper which got no use, I went with a vertical style, so I could get my meat way above the firepot.

I agree with the Camp Chef connection / sentiment with both Chud and Jeremy. This being said I can absolutely see this style of pellet smoker bringing more flavor than a traditional pellet cooker. Could it beat an offset...this 100% depends on the palate of the people eating the food.

Either way this is a cool video and if I were in the market for a pellet grill, I think this concept provides some serious utility. I was very unhappy with the lack of flavor I got from my Rec Tec (ended up sending it back), but a pellet cooker which is also burning wood chunks might move the needle a bit..so to speak.

I've been asking this same question as regards to who has experience with the Woodwind Pro and the LSG Pellet cooker. I feel I get more pellet "flavor" (example cherry) but no smoke flavor on my gas grill with pellet tube, and no real flavors of any kind off of my dad's Trager or similar smoker with same pellets (Lumberjack and Bear Mountain).

On my offset, when using cherry wood and such, it burns so clean that I just taste smoke and not a real "flavor". I've started looking up cherry glazes and mop sauces to try to add fruitier flavor to chicken and pork every few cooks to break things up, but the diet I'm on I really don't want to add in any sugars or carbs that most sauces and mops have.

I much rather prefer the LSG pellet grill so I could use 50/50 pellets and wood, but at almost $5k on off-road package shipped to me, the Woodwind Pro might be a stepping stone to get close prior to spending the LSG type money. Would love to taste food off of both prior to purchase, but I'm the second biggest/most often cook in my area so no chance of anyone else splurging for one without me doing it first.

Yep, lets you run the smoker at a lower setting to maximize smoke generation and take advantage of higher cook temps on the top rack. Also avoid any sort of radiant heat on the underside of the meat from the diffuser plate. Top shelf cooking was my standard procedure when using my Mak.

Exactly. That's why when I decided to replace my old Pit Boss pellet pooper which got no use, I went with a vertical style, so I could get my meat way above the firepot.

How much height between the firepot and the cook shelf do you target?

I often found the radiant heat from heat deflector can fry bottom of meat

Anyone seen the Camp Chef XXL Pro vertical pellet smoker?
It has a drawer for wood chunks also. Looks interesting.

He said he was in Comfort, Tx. Used to drive by the Comfort Inn in Comfort on my way to Kerrville. My understanding is they won a law suit against the national chain of the same name, for alleged infringement of copyrights (or naming rights) since they had used the name Comfort Inn before the national chain was created. Local legends.....

Anyway, the video was entertaining. Comparing numerous methods and cookers to Texas brisket on an offset smoker seems to indirectly affirm the best.

PS - Since when do Americans put the word "the" immediately before proper names, "...from the HEB"? Sorry to be a grammar snob, but BBQ is not the only area in which standards should be upheld. Did I quote the video properly? :-D

While the meat that comes off my pellet grill isn't bad, it's no comparison to what comes off the LSG offset. When I want convenience I use the pellet grill. When I want really good brisket, pork butt, ribs..etc, I use the LSG.

Pellet Cookers are not a panacea of all things smoked. However, of all the many tools you have in your arsenal to cook smoked meats, make sure one of them is a pellet cooker.

Last edited:
Back