California Regional BBQ (long, sort of ranty)

I think some folks, actually me too, do not consider Santa Maria to be a Northern California thing. It is good, it speaks to California in a way that no other BBQ can, but, it is really a Central Valley/Central California thing. I will say, it absolutely speaks to the overall California Heritage like no other style of cooking we have in any genre. I would go so far as to say, you cannot cook Santa Maria BBQ in any other part of the country or the world.

I think some folks, actually me too, do not consider Santa Maria to be a Northern California thing. It is good, it speaks to California in a way that no other BBQ can, but, it is really a Central Valley/Central California thing. I will say, it absolutely speaks to the overall California Heritage like no other style of cooking we have in any genre. I would go so far as to say, you cannot cook Santa Maria BBQ in any other part of the country or the world.

I have had some very good Santa Maria BBQ in Chicago.

http://santamariavalleybbq.com/

I have had top block strung on steel bars over an pit built into the earth. I have eaten it in the area it comes from with the men that raised the cattle. Can you do a good job elsewhere, sure, will it be the same, not really. That is why, without even one other reason, someday I hope to eat brisket in Lockhart and surrouinds.

I have had top block strung on steel bars over an pit built into the earth. I have eaten it in the area it comes from with the men that raised the cattle. Can you do a good job elsewhere, sure, will it be the same, not really. That is why, without even one other reason, someday I hope to eat brisket in Lockhart and surrouinds.

You said it Bob, well conceived response. There is some things that just cannot be repeated or the differences described. This is why I still hold out hope for Brisket - I have not been to Lockhart. Ahh the block steak - almost relegated to antiquity. I'm having a few cut to share with Groundhog66. Such a Sirloin delicacy.

You said it Bob, well conceived response. There is some things that just cannot be repeated or the differences described. This is why I still hold out hope for Brisket - I have not been to Lockhart. Ahh the block steak - almost relegated to antiquity. I'm having a few cut to share with Groundhog66. Such a Sirloin delicacy.

Tim your response to the article was nicely done. Great job!

Wow...great article. :rolleyes: I can't believe that you all don't agree that we lack regional style because the Blacks in the East Bay are from Southern Louisiana (not BBQ country)! :tsk:

/end sarcasm
:crazy:

Reading that article is like reading Bob Lyon's Pacific Northwest reports in the Bullsheet and NBBQN. Old tired and out of date.

I hold my nose whenever I read a Q joint revue from our local rags the Weekly or Stranger.

Last edited:
Back