Buying something new, but what????

Groundhog - Thanks! I'll look into it. It's been awhile since I've used a VB board much and I just don't use anything for picture storage anymore. Long gone are the PhotoBucket days.

I also completely agree with your comment on the simplicity of the Yoder Pellet grill. I just don't think feeding splits to a stick burner over night is going to be my thing.

Now an all day long back yard stick burner session, yes!

Groundhog - Thanks! I'll look into it. It's been awhile since I've used a VB board much and I just don't use anything for picture storage anymore. Long gone are the PhotoBucket days.

I also completely agree with your comment on the simplicity of the Yoder Pellet grill. I just don't think feeding splits to a stick burner over night is going to be my thing.

Like I said, a stick burner would be fun, but I certainly would not want to cook on one all the time.

I just don't think feeding splits to a stick burner over night is going to be my thing.

I gave up all night smokes long ago, now worst case is getting up early!

I have BGEs, and a stick burner. Also wanting something with more capacity than the Lrg BGE, and less maintenance-involving than the offset, parked a YS640 outside. Brilliant move!
While I do enjoy feeding splits into a fire box when afforded the time for such entertainments, that Yoder is just simple: fire-and-forget simple. In fact, on days when I would really like to have to mess around with a cooker, the Yoder can be down right boring. One only need choose a temp setting and hit "go."
And compared to the BGE it is HUGE in available cooking area. The fare coming off of it ain't half shabby, neither. My wife really, really loves the briskets it produces. (She pushed hard for the smaller YS480 and now wants to know why I didn't get the even larger YS1500...wimminz!!)

As I see it, you need ceramic cookers, an offset, and a pellet cooker. I'm just not sure on the order of acquisition. And maybe a hibachi......

This is what I did,ordered a Jambo stick burner which won't be ready until May 2017 and bought a 22 WSM to keep me from going crazy till May. Got rid of everything else. The WSM is awesome,easy to use puts out great Smoke flavor. Just smoked a 16 lb. full packer and it came out great. Save your money and forget about the pellet smoker. 20 cooks on the WSM in two months and love it.

just bought the 270 large smoker will be delivered tomorrow and hope to get the lang 36 stretch deluxe this spring......

After smoking for a long time on a Weber kettle, I just picked up an ABS All star.. so far so good. It seems to be a perfect size for a good family smoker and is holding at temp very well.

0b954c316e75dabf83988519a074cbd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also done a bunch of research, a ton of reading in regards to a new smoker. I finally

pulled the trigger on a YS640. I do a lot of over night cooks and decided the Yoder would fit

my needs better at this time. I am still waiting to receive mine, should see it in the next two or three weeks.

I would also like to have a stick burner one day. Good luck with your decision.

I bought a used Yoder 480 and did a few cooks on it. It was easy but I was not impressed with the taste of the food coming off of it. I like smoke and it did not put much smoke profile in/on the meat. Even tried heavier smoke pellets and lower temps early in the cook,but just never got the taste I was looking for compared to my offset and Egg. I might not have given it as much time as I should have, but I just wanted better smoke profile from my food.

Sold it a week ago.

So here's what I'm thinking.

Planning to run a buddies Jambo backyard for him in the upcoming weeks to determine my interest in a stick burner.

BGE will stay here.
Going to do a pellet smoker/ Likely a Yoder 640, but also interested in the Smokin' Brother's stuff.
Try to find a cheap Hasty Bake or save the pennies and do an M1 or Assassin.

A WSM or UDS may find it's way home at some point too.

I need new TOY'S!!!!!!!

Good points guys.

I'm interested by the M1, being a newer company I'm just concerned about the longevity of the business more than anything.

Estepel13, I actually have a raised grate that I've built, but more than anything am considering something else just for purely having something else to utilize.

M Grills (Magee Machine and Mfg.) has been in business for 30 years as a family owned large capacity machine shop. Although we just started making bbq grills 3 years ago and the M1 design being my latest creation.. we are not going anywhere. Technically we go back to the 70's making Big M Pumping Units.

The M Grills army is growing and we are in talks with a few different BBQ stores across the US carrying our products.

I love my Yoder YS 640 I highly reccomend it, good capacity, great cooker it does it all. I also have a Pitmaker Vault, another great cooker (insulated smoker) with much more capacity. How much do you need to cook? 640 much more than BGE & Vault will feed a crowd. What I like about both cookers is ease of use & clean up.

Since you mentioned it...a UDS will give you a LOT of cooking capacity. I'm not mechanically inclined and I built my 4 with relative ease. They'll cook a ton of food, are super easy to use, and you can leave them for pretty long periods without checking on them....once you get yours dialed in. Plus....you can make one for not a lot of $$$

This gem cost about $60.00 and is my favorite. Isn't she gorgeous? I've used it in comps and beat guys with $5000+ smokers :mrgreen::mrgreen:

The guy (or gal) that invented the UDS should win a Nobel Prize.....

That's not ugly it's fugly. I love it. Down side is the $60 invested. I've built less fugly for $0.00

I have a weber kettle, bubba keg (metal BGE) and a quality stick burner. I use the Bubba keg less than anything.....now I don’t do pizza so that is where it would shine. I would look at the kettle/WSM/UDS route for short term and when you can grab a stick burner you like for the weekends.....If you can join in some friends with different cookers would be great so you could get a first hand experience .....JMO

M Grills (Magee Machine and Mfg.) has been in business for 30 years as a family owned large capacity machine shop. Although we just started making bbq grills 3 years ago and the M1 design being my latest creation.. we are not going anywhere. Technically we go back to the 70's making Big M Pumping Units.

The M Grills army is growing and we are in talks with a few different BBQ stores across the US carrying our products.

Travis, thanks for taking the time to discuss with me yesterday afternoon! Looking forward to being part of the M Grills family in the future.

My vote... no pellet smokers!! its not supposed to be easy...:pop2:

Get a cheap stick burner and save for the good one... :grin:

Back