Butcher paper

Demosthenes

Full Fledged Farker
Is there any significant difference other than color, between using white butcher paper and peach treated butcher paper? I did read somewhere, that the white paper shows the blood of the raw meat more so, than the peach paper....but since I'm not wrapping any raw meat...only 'almost' cooked meat, that is not an issue. I bought a roll of the white (because RD didn't have the peach treated paper) and, it worked as far as I'm concerned....really well. I wrapped my briskets and butts with the paper, and found that I was able to maintain a nice bark on both, as opposed to the 'mush' I usually get when I use foil. I'm now a butcher paper person.:clap: I have about 988 feet of paper left :roll:.....but when I need to buy more....is there any reason I should switch and buy the peach treated paper? Thanks for your input.

I have been using the brown gift wrap paper. Seems to get the job done. Might be just a little thicker than butcher paper but it seems to work fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As long as the paper is not coated (some have a plasticized coating) I see no problem with it. Peach treated paper is theoretically stronger to hold up under moisture.

Last edited:
I have only used the white and never had a problem. Did not know that there could be a difference.

I got caught without butcher paper the other day and used parchment paper that was not waxed without issue but I had to use multiple layers as it is a little more fragile.

Color of the paper in itself is a personal preference, the term "treated" (after the descriptor "peach") is the only difference.

White butcher paper is made of bleached paper that provides a bright clean appearance as a meat packaging material. Additionally, white butcher paper can used in casual dining settings, white butcher paper can be used as a disposable tablecover. Peach treated butcher paper is designed to so that the dark orange coloring discretely hides any juices that happen to leak from your meats.

Now the term "Treated":
Do not confuse the term "treated" or "sizing" with the term "coating". Treated butcher paper is usually in reference to a process called sizing. Sizing is a starch-based product added in the last step to add strength when wet which also provides a slight leak resistance. Sizing is more commonly found in some 12", 15", and 18" rolls of paper, as they are more commonly used for raw meat wrapping, where most 24", 30", and 36" rolls of butcher paper are usually not "treated" or "sized". This doesn't mean that all 24", 30", and 36" rolls of butcher paper are not treated, just that you have to look for the term treated if that is what you desire. The "treated/sized" paper is still rated for direct contact with food and they still breath in the same manner as non-treated, the starch merely gives it a little more strength when wet. Most importantly, it is a food grade starch, so you do not have to be worried about petrochemicals, wax, or plastics on this paper.

Some people will tell you to get paper from Home Depot that they cover new floors and counter tops to prevent marring and damage, but some of these papers are treated with rosin. Rosin is made from distilled turpentine and also contains abietic acid and other hydrocarbons. Others will also recommend the use of kraft paper or even the use of paper bags. The issue here is that because of production standards/processes these papers are not rated safe for direct contact with food. The USDA also states that grocery bags are not safe for use in cooking. ( http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...3ARmTtNo6TC9J3Hev9Os5nRPx0m0Sm34DoNUAbw!!/#12 ) It's not just the issue of the chemicals of the glue, but the manufacturing process that uses chemicals not safe for food may be present at higher-than-acceptable limits and can migrate into the food. Then there is the issue of warehousing, transportation, and storage of the paper bags at the final destination. These bags may not be sanitary, particularly since they may be shipped and stored under a variety of conditions.

Many will tell you that these are ok to use because they have used them years, they don't get sick when using them, they haven't grown a third eye, and all is well. In the same sense, some people will pick dropped food up off the ground and claim the 3-5 second rule and eat it, while others are more comfortable letting the dog have it or just throwing it away.

The bottom line is: you will be the one using the paper and only you can choose your level of comfort in using these different papers. If you are comfortable using paper bags or kraft paper, then you are free to use it as you want. It is not a matter of being right or wrong with the paper of your choice, but more about an individual's comfort level with the product they choose. It is simply a matter of your comfort level with an approved or non-approved product. Similar to the way some do not use aluminum for fear of absorption into the brain cells, while others may not consider the idea. This is part of our human nature that makes us individuals, otherwise we would all be robots.

Thanks for all the responses. Since the peach treated paper is 'technically' stronger and holds up to moisture better than the white paper......I think I'll switch to using peach treated paper. I did notice that the white paper on one brisket began to tear slightly (lot of juice in that one)...but for the most part the others held up well with the amount of juice in them. ...PS. IamMadMan....nice break down between the two. :hail:

the only thing i have noticed is that the peach paper doesn't tear as easy. i gave my white bp to my daughter for her 1st grade class to draw on. probably still had several hundred feet left on the roll after years and years of cooking briskets.

Interesting differences between the two papers. Now I have to try the peach colored paper to see if it is indeed a bit better.

the peach paper is typically soaked through used as a crutch. I've yet to tear it handling a brisket on its transit from the pit to the cooler.

Back