Burning/Smoking/BBQing ANYTHING inside the garage -- Bad Idea!

Yes. Knock that pail of grease over or have a lot splash out and run to some wood.... Good luck trying to put it out.

Scary! Worse thing for me to-date (knock on wood) was the turkey slipping off the hook and falling into the fryer. Had I not had jeans on and long pvc protective gloves I would have been a statistic and eligible for a dumazz award.

I made the mistake when I was first starting out with my reverse flow cooker.. I *thought* the fire was out.. I rolled it back into the garage at about 10 pm... closed the door. Woke up and opened the garage door to head out to work the next morning and the garage was full of smoke.... 8 hours later. Now.. it stays outside until the next day before I put it up.

All excellent advice, and should be taken very seriously and not joked about. Unfortunately common sense is not all that common now days! If we would just stop and think before we do something other than the normally accepted way of doing it. Learn to trust that "little inner voice" that is telling us "Whoa big boy, that is probably not a wise move there!" Generally it turns out to not be a wise move. At least it has been for me when I chose to ignore the inner warning! OOOPPS!!

Have a Blessed and safe day! Your family will thank you.

Omar

I'm offended that you called my Ez-Up a "soccer mom canopy"

:becky:

I've also shaken my head in either dismay or amazement when I read about someone grilling or smoking in the garage. Well said and a timely reminder for all of us!
Ron_L is a Soccer Mom pass it on!:becky::becky:

I use to fry turkey's in the garage, but after all those stories on the news about the hazards!.....:shocked:

Now I fry them in the bathtub of my spare bathroom. Smaller area to "contain" the fire, and clean up is a breeze! Just pour the hot oil down the drain!
:laugh:
:crazy:

All excellent advice, and should be taken very seriously and not joked about. Unfortunately common sense is not all that common now days! If we would just stop and think before we do something other than the normally accepted way of doing it. Learn to trust that "little inner voice" that is telling us "Whoa big boy, that is probably not a wise move there!" Generally it turns out to not be a wise move. At least it has been for me when I chose to ignore the inner warning! OOOPPS!!

Have a Blessed and safe day! Your family will thank you.

Omar

+1 above! I argued here in brethren a few years back this very point, and what really amazed me were the volume of people who said I was nuts and overly cautious (from a guy who has had 2 grills go up in flames, even being VERY careful). I couldn't explain to them that there is no reason to risk the lives of your family... Most of them are no longer here or will not speak up; perhaps they've learned a lesson or two the hard way. I hope not.

I'll stick to doing it in my living room, thank you. And I'm also a hose dragger, but fighting fires has nothing to do with it.... :-D

I'm thinking about putting a gas grill on my open air deck. Is this a hazard? The deck is pressure treated lumber. Should I buy a grill mat? If so what brand? Just want to be safe as possible.

Buy a grill mat to be on the safe side. If nothing else it will protect your deck from the inevitable spills.

Much less danger with gas imho than charcoal in terms of catching a fire.

Frying a turkey anywhere can be hazardous from what I've seen/experienced. I have a lean-to to roll my smoker and grill under in the rain. I have went as far as removing the hot coals and tossing them in the driveway(gravel) before putting them away.

I'm thinking about putting a gas grill on my open air deck. Is this a hazard? The deck is pressure treated lumber. Should I buy a grill mat? If so what brand? Just want to be safe as possible.
It's definitely a hazard but can be managed safely with paying strict attention to the grill at all times. I would look into getting a flat aluminum drip guard pan at your local auto parts store. They are normally used for putting under a car in a driveway or garage but they also work great as a deck/patio protector. They offer two sizes, i went with the bigger one to cover more surface area of our deck in our old apartment. It gave me a little piece of mind having some protection from dripping grease and stains which gas grills are notorious for. Please keep an extinguisher by the grill as we always should have within arms reach when cooking.

Back