Burger contest

I was lucky enough to go to the World Burger Championship last year. Another member also went and made it even further. Both of our teams did something most of the invited cooks did. We made patties from the meat not a mixture. Once you mix the meat you create a different texture and one that doesn't hit the "best burger you've ever had" category. Most every one here will remember that the best burger they ever had was nothing more than a quality meat patty freshly pressed on toasted artisan bread of some sort. The best fats in that burger are to ones that melt around you body temperature. Through friction or over handling you will melt theses fats. This makes the mince mealy. Try to handle the meat as little as possible.

I use a measuring cup to measure your burgers evenly. 1/2 cup measure is a 1/4 lb burger. 2/3 cup is a 1/3 pound burger. 1 cup is a 1/2 lb burger. I wouldn't make anything larger than that is it becomes difficult to manage on the grill and get a consistent cook.

I would use 80/20 mince. Anything leaner and you have to find flavor somewhere else.

I would use american cheese as its familiar. I would find Land o Lakes deli cheese yellow. Its creamy but doesn't run away when it melts. If you want to use a cheddar I would suggest vermont mild cheddar as it will melt without the oiliness.

Your bun is the winner. I like to make a patty melt but its time consuming. But I will suggest you lightly toast whatever you use. Buttery toasted is another good idea. Remember a basic bun or sesame bun will give the judge the appearance of "normal". You want to wow them a bit.

Caramelized onions are an easy cook and a nice finish to any burger.

If you can cook over charcoal do it. There is another familiarity there.

Get him a small jar of Lawrys Season Salt. Don't season until you sear the meat. Salting the burger before it hits the heat draws too much moisture to the surface.

Back