Building a Jumbo Joe WSM

jtcannonball

Knows what a fatty is.
So I've built a few other smokers but I've wanted to do the "Jimmy Build" like I've seen done by a few others on here. I've had a Jumbo Joe collecting dust I got for a great deal a while back and finally decided to start the build. I completed the handle mods for the stock Weber vents with 5/8" Oak Dowel rods that I cut and drilled through with a few carriage bolts. Now I'm debating to go with one 3/4" Ball Valve and two nipples with caps or to go with one very large ball valve like 1.5". I'm wanting to get a BBQ Guru Cloud this year and I think the 3/4" work best for there universal attachment. I'll add pics in a minute of what I've done so far.

I'm waiting on the pot, I will do shelves somewhere between 1.5-2" from the top and then 7-10" from the top for the second shelf. Not sure the exact dimensions for the second shelf so I'm researching that a bit. Also debating on a setup for diffuser and a pan for water if I decide to go that route.

Anybody have a preference for thermometer to use? I'm thinking River Country or Tel-Tru wit a 3" stem.

Any knowledge or experience would be great if you know of something that I'm doing wrong or could do better.

Thanks

JT

327bf5ccc13a4593f5d18b21671122e2.jpg

19b21acdbb971a8fa1fb47252ea5e7ac.jpg

Last edited:
i put a 3" River Country with a 3" stem on mine as i did not have a drill bit big enough to drill for the 5" RC. i use a holey pizza pan as my diffuser. everyone said ss was a pita to drill so i bought a set of cobalt bits and had no issues. you will love the jimmy. it is such a versatile cooker. my wife will not eat chicken unless i cook it on the jimmy. she can tell the difference.

i put a 3" River Country with a 3" stem on mine as i did not have a drill bit big enough to drill for the 5" RC. i use a holey pizza pan as my diffuser. everyone said ss was a pita to drill so i bought a set of cobalt bits and had no issues. you will love the jimmy. it is such a versatile cooker. my wife will not eat chicken unless i cook it on the jimmy. she can tell the difference.
What did you use for air intake? 3/4" Ball Valve?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

i never bothered with an intake. on longer cooks i do have to clear out the ash from the standard intake.

i never bothered with an intake. on longer cooks i do have to clear out the ash from the standard intake.
Is your Jumbo the standard one vent on the bottom or the gold with two side vents? Mine is the one vent model. Wondering if that makes a difference.

Is your Jumbo the standard one vent on the bottom or the gold with two side vents? Mine is the one vent model. Wondering if that makes a difference.

Single bottom vent. It will start to clog on long cooks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back