Buffalo Shredded Chicken Dip

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
It's been a while since I've been on the forum, pretty much the entire month of January. I haven't even been grilling all that much. Why? OK, so it has a little bit to do with grilling, but home improvements have kept me busy.

In December I built a new pantry for the kitchen, 36 x 24, which stores all my cast iron, Dutch ovens, cookbooks, stand mixer, etc. This was all out in the open on two metal racks but that trend has come and gone and it made the kitchen look cluttered.

We contracted with a painter who was going to grain fill, sand and paint our dated oak cabinets but Dom had different ideas, mainly because I wanted all the cabinets to match the pantry which is a Shaker raised panel style. So on Jan 1st I put together some prototype replacement door fronts. I ran the idea past the Mrs who said go for it. Here's the before photo with those two doors -

xb6i0DW.jpg

Initially thinking this might take months, I cranked it into high gear and two weeks later I'd built 28 cabinet doors and 16 drawer fronts. Not all are complete in this photo and I updated the island ends to match the cabinets as well -

E9gbmCJ.jpg

The painter took the doors and drawer fronts to his shop, then was back at our house for prep work and spraying the cabinet cases. Friday we were done -

Bpi8a0W.jpg

Being without a kitchen for a week while the area was sealed in plastic, the extreme cold weather, plus being in the shop for two straight weeks kept me from the grills.

But not today! Super Bowl Sunday and a recent video from Nagi (recipetineats.com) had me excited to make this appetizer, which turned into dinner.

Buffalo Shredded Chicken Dip

Boneless breasts on the Weber w/ Plowboys Yardbird -

2MLp4py.jpg

Shredded -

iWoZORF.jpg

The dip. Homemade Ranch dressing, mixed and heated with cream cheese, Frank's Red Hot, and shredded Colby Jack and Cheddar -

cSky5Sg.jpg

Add the shredded chicken, top with more cheese and bake at 350F -

Myq0a3T.jpg

PVPD31O.jpg

sGY30QM.jpg

vN8shY9.jpg

Good enough to be dinner today!

Thanks for following along with today's cook and my month long hiatus in the woodshop. Yeah, it's good to be posting again.

Regards,
-lunchman

Wondered where you got to.
Food looks very good as usual, but that kitchen looks wonderfull, much cleaner/brighter looking

I,m a big fan of Nagi's

Amen!

Really like your work in the kitchen, Dom... both on the cabinets and the dip.

Nice to see you back. Best to you and the family.

Great job on the kitchen. Cabinets look great. The dip is out of this world and probably made the game that much better.

I was wondering what happened to you. Kitchen looks really nice. Wish I had that talent. The cook looks excellent as usual. Glad you back

Really good to see you back Dom. Wonderful job on the kitchen, looks like a new place. I saved that recipe. I could easily make a meal out of good dips and have spoiled several dinners doing so :roll:

Thanks all. It's good to be posting again. Ya gotta try this dip, it was easy to make and of course I wasn't poaching the chicken as the recipe calls for.

And thanks very much for the kind words on the kitchen remodel. The oak cabinets were driving us crazy and it was time for an update. I simply did not like the dated cathedral look and would have been unhappy that I'd not taken the opportunity to build new ones. Jeanne was a bit hesitant as to whether I could pull this off, but I put in some long hours in my shop and proved to myself and my wife it was doable. Our painter did a superb job spraying them, a skill I do not possess.

It makes the kitchen so much more pleasant to be in.

-Dom

Thanks all. It's good to be posting again. Ya gotta try this dip, it was easy to make and of course I wasn't poaching the chicken as the recipe calls for.

And thanks very much for the kind words on the kitchen remodel. The oak cabinets were driving us crazy and it was time for an update. I simply did not like the dated cathedral look and would have been unhappy that I'd not taken the opportunity to build new ones. Jeanne was a bit hesitant as to whether I could pull this off, but I put in some long hours in my shop and proved to myself and my wife it was doable. Our painter did a superb job spraying them, a skill I do not possess.

It makes the kitchen so much more pleasant to be in.

-Dom

Buffalo dip was on the menu here for the game too but I never got around to it. Oh well, the chicken that I cooked became tortilla soup today so nothing lost.

The kitchen looks awesome. I was going to ask why you built the new doors vs just painting what you had but that makes sense. And your right, a professional sprayed finish makes all the difference - and is something I have no ability to do myself.

The kitchen looks awesome. I was going to ask why you built the new doors vs just painting what you had but that makes sense. And your right, a professional sprayed finish makes all the difference - and is something I have no ability to do myself.

Yep, it was simply time for a change. These are the original cabinets from the mid 90s when the house was built, the quality isn't super high. We're the second owners and I was tired of looking at them after nearly 20 years. I honestly had thoughts of building all brand new cabinets but don't have the time to do so despite being retired and having the skills. Now that would have been months of work and a very unhappy wife.

For those interested, these are Poplar rails and stiles, MDF center panels. MDF is very stable, the panel can be cut from a single piece, doesn't need to be jointed and takes paint well.

Back to grilling and not woodworking.

Back