Buckboarded Chops on the Big Chief + Smokey Joe ~ Cooks Thread for the "Kettle Cook-Off" and "Eatin' High on the Hog" TDs

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I decided to do a double duty cook for these two Throwdowns.... here is how the deal went down.

I dry cured some center cut pork loin chops (high on the hog cuts) for 60 hours and rested them overnight for the pellicle to form. Next, I flavor smoked them in my Big Chief for 2 hours with pecan pellets. Meanwhile, I shoveled snow.

nIxv4ji.jpg

SrYjFpj.jpg

GcgpM7r.jpg

The internal was 80° when I moved them to my Smokey Joe (kettle cook-off). Some people use a "Vortex", I used my "Poor-tex" set-up. :laugh: The finish target temperature was 145° and the GrillGrates buffered the heat.

XH5YvGC.jpg

YVxzxUy.jpg

fK39a4J.jpg

XDTp8C0.jpg

The "Kettle Cook Off" required "kettle cam" photo, which I have....and here is the entry photo.

kYAVrpz.jpg

For the "Eatin' High on the Hog" TD I took the smoked chops and made Kassler Rippchen mit Sauerkraut. It's German country food. And here is my entry photo.

0qE9yLn.jpg

Those look absolutely killer but, where's the apple sauce :laugh:. Stinks you had to shovel, sure hope we are done with that here

Those look absolutely killer but, where's the apple sauce :laugh:. Stinks you had to shovel, sure hope we are done with that here

Heheee, sorry no apples. I got the driveway done, the street is a 2-track through knee deep snow. Oh, and it's snowing again. :doh: Next up will be limited flash flooding because the next few days will get into the 50's.

Back