THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alphonse

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Alan
I have been cooking on the new Kamado Joe Kettle Joe and thought folks may be interested in my impressions.

The overall concept of the Kettle Joe is quite interesting. It successfully integrates the merits of a high-end kettle grill and a kamado. It comes with a ceramic lined firebox and Kamado Joe’s SLŌROLLER technology. The cooking grates and firebox cage are all stainless steel. The SloRoller is an insert that can be taken on and off depending on how you want to use the grill. The hinged lid is adjustable to accommodate using it as a kettle grill, sans SloRoller.

I am quite impressed with the performance of the SloRoller. It functions far better than I imagined and the ceramic lined firebox makes this pit relatively fuel efficient and responsive. While I have used the grill strictly as a kettle grill, most of my cooks have been focused on using it setup with the SloRoller. I have used it with a PID control system and found that it will track the setpoint spot-on. One of my first cooks was a big batch of wings, and to my surprise they cooked consistently across the grate. The ones in the center were the same as the ones near the periphery.

The integrated cart is robust and the locking casters work very well. The vertically adjustable hinge is equally robust and very well made. It allows you to swap from kettle mode to kamado/SloRoller mode lickity split. At 22” in diameter, it opens up the universe of accessories for this size grill. Flipside, it is not hard to imagine that the SloRoller insert may eventually become available as a separate purchase since it should fit on other 22” grills.

It will be interesting to see how sales on this grill develop. I do think KJ has landed a very innovative design with the Kettle Joe and at its price point of $499, you get a lot for your money. It is an extremely versatile cooker with good materials of construction that should prove to be durable. I think it could be called the “Swiss Army Knife of Kettle Grills”.

Attachments

• finished.jpg
    finished.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 340
  • midpoint.jpg
    midpoint.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 338
  • FB record.JPG
    FB record.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 344
  • about to load the cook.jpg
    about to load the cook.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 341
Thanks for the informative post.

Seems like a very versatile cooker.

How far above the coals can you place a grate for direct cooking. The dome appears high, similar to a BGE, can you cook high in the dome to also get radiant heat?

Thanks.

Thanks for the informative post.

Seems like a very versatile cooker.

How far above the coals can you place a grate for direct cooking. The dome appears high, similar to a BGE, can you cook high in the dome to also get radiant heat?

Thanks.

The grates can be set at two elevations in Kettle mode. Here's a recent video that I found that may show what you are looking for.
https://youtu.be/UnzlTf9GqSg

That's a nice looking well thought out grill, I love cooking on a Performer with the SnS but for larger cooks like a Brisket there's not enough grate space to use the SnS. Have been kicking around getting a 26" kettle and add an SnS XL but might look into just purchasing the slow roller for the Performer. Thanks Alan for the review and links.

I have wondered if the Sloroller does anything about the stale or stagnant smoke taste that some complain about with kamado grills.

She looks pretty nice. If my Weber 22 ever takes a dive or I get really bored I know where I might look next. thanks for the nice write up & pics!

She looks pretty nice. If my Weber 22 ever takes a dive or I get really bored I know where I might look next. thanks for the nice write up & pics!
Thanks.

Just as an FYI, you will be able to buy the SloRoller and fit it to the Weber. Kamado Joe was a bit sly in making this kettle 22" in diameter and is offering the SloRoller as a separate item to fit 22" grills. It is supposed to be available next month.

Conversely, I can fit the Weber rotisserie to my Joe Kettle. I have one coming to give it a run.

Thanks.

Just as an FYI, you will be able to buy the SloRoller and fit it to the Weber. Kamado Joe was a bit sly in making this kettle 22" in diameter and is offering the SloRoller as a separate item to fit 22" grills. It is supposed to be available next month.

Conversely, I can fit the Weber rotisserie to my Joe Kettle. I have one coming to give it a run.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a slow roller for my Performer, I got everything else for it (304 SS 1/4" round bar grate, SnS, Vortex, Kettle Pizza Kit) so hell why not. Probably end up getting a rotisserie for it one day too, only reason I haven't is I'm not sure how much I'd use a rotisserie.

Last edited:
Can't imagine that it would be more desirable than the Big Joe.

Agreed, I couldn't imagine that to be the case! :p

Only fly in that ointment is that the Big Joe III costs 5x as much. $2499 vs. $499 is a big leap and yes, one would expect the more expensive pit should be more desirable.

Back