THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
I have a pellet pooper that has been less consistent recently. It tends to have temp spikes when I try to cook at 225 so I’m going to do tonight’s cook at 250.

I have a 16 lb brisket that I trimmed down to about 14 lbs. dry brining in the fridge today. It’s got a nice thick flat that is pretty uniform from side to side.

I am going to cook overnight and want to pull it off the cooker early tomorrow morning about 7 or 8 and put in my holding cooler while I take the family to church.

What time would you put the meat on the cooker tonight?

Personally, I’d put it on now @ 275°. Anything lower, and no guarantees it’ll be done on time. 275° should do the trick. You can hold a finished brisket for hours on end. But rushing to finish one with hungry guests is the pits.

Last edited:
I always figure 75 minutes per pound, then add 1 hour for a buffer as each piece of meat cooks differently. If it’s done early, resting for another hour or 2 isn’t a bad thing. I also leave my brisket out of the fridge for 2 hours before I throw on the cooker as well. I never throw it on cold.

Ok, y’all scared me so I threw it on. Remember, I’m in the Pacific time zone so it’s not as late for me as it is for a few of you. It’s been running for a few hours at 250. Now it’s at 160 in the stall and it’s about 7:46 pm. Should I back it off to 230?

Remember… even if it gets done early, and extra few hours resting isn’t a bad thing…

Back