Brisket Smoke ring Help

Make sure you put some good wood chunks in your basket. I cook HnF ,on the UDS, and as long as I use wood chunks, I get a decent smoke ring. Cold meat, going on the pit, will help also.

Nothing spectacular, but a decent smoke ring. More wood chunks would probably help a little more.

If you want a bit of a cheat you can add some ground celery seed in your rub. It's high in nitrates which is one of the items which helps to produce the ring.

Here are burnt ends from a brisket I cooked at 225 for two hours and then raised the temp to 275 until done. (Straight pecan in my offset)

picture.php
Almost exactly what I do only I go three hours at 225 before cranking up the heat. I've found that this method gives the flavor of low and slow while also cutting cooking time by several hours.:thumb:

Either your pit is drawing TO well or you fire is to efficient. I run PO and never don't get a Smoke ring I use K salt & Peppa cooking 300-325 you could put on a light coat of Celery salt first before the rub as it has lots of nitrates in it and will produce for you . However IIRC in KCBA a smoke ring is not part of the judging criteria
DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0086.jpg

If'n your are obsessed with a smoke ring, the 3 eyed dude from
WY (thirdeye) posted this trick on another forum yrs ago.

Morton Tender Quick

Rub on for 10" and rinse well and then add your rubs of choice.

Attachments

• Brisket 4-19-14 b.jpg
    Brisket 4-19-14 b.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 33
I agree and...

In KCBS competitions smoke ring is not a criteria for judging, so focus on nailing the taste and tenderness.

As a MCBJ, I agree with Ron L 100%. If it melts in yo mouth, you will get the big points. The nitrates/nitrites in smoke will not really penetrate fat or Silver Skin into the muscle. Take the time to remove as munch Silver as you can from the side without the fat cap...

A couple of people have mentioned this already correctly, the easiest way to fake a smoke ring is to put your meat on cold. If you are concerned about the smoke ring, put it on straight out out of the fridge/cooler. You will get a thick ring...now as far as flavor goes, you may be sacrificing taste, tenderness, and evenness doing it this way (or not, maybe you will still get a great result, brisket is a fickle mistress), but you will definitely see a ring as long as you are producing some smoke and your meat goes on cold.

Back