Brisket question for the Brethren

Rubmybutt

Full Fledged Farker
Good day all, hope your having a great Labor day weekend? As I have to work, phark. Butt not all is lost as this afternoon me and the offset have a goal to reach.

I'm doing two flats that were injected three days ago with Butchers mix of brisket injection and gold dust now gettin happy in the fridge, this afternoon I'll rub them with Plowboys Bovine Bold and do a four hour smoke then double foil and four hours more but heres the question.

I am serving this at noon tomorrow to the water patrol officers in this sector, I'm guessing 15 so I want this to be as good as I can do, that's why I'm here. Do I keep the brisket whole and slice just before I take it over or slice this afternoon when I'm done cooking and gently warm up tomorrow morning ether way? Thank you in advance for all your help!:thumb:

I'm doing two flats that were injected three days ago with Butchers mix of brisket injection and gold dust now gettin happy in the fridge, this afternoon I'll rub them with Plowboys Bovine Bold and do a four hour smoke then double foil and four hours more but heres the question.

I am serving this at noon tomorrow to the water patrol officers in this sector, I'm guessing 15 so I want this to be as good as I can do, that's why I'm here. Do I keep the brisket whole and slice just before I take it over or slice this afternoon when I'm done cooking and gently warm up tomorrow morning ether way? Thank you in advance for all your help!:thumb:

If you are doing "flats" I am confused about keeping the "brisket whole"?

Assuming you are refering to keeping the brisket flat as one piece, you also have to take into consideration the amount of rest time from cooker.

I personally would leave the flat whole, wrap it tightly in foil, and let rest and cool. Then tomorrow gently heat while still wrapped to an internal temp of 145, 140 is a safe serving temp, but I always take a slightly higher temp to be safe.

if you cut without resting, the cells of the brisket will release their contents.

I am sure there are other ways of doing this, but this has worked for me when preparing in advance.

Last edited:
Is there a way that you can time the cook so that the briskets are done in the morning? Then you could put them into a preheated cooler wrapped in towels and keep them hot until you are going to serve it.

Wow you injected 3 days ago? It seems like a long dwell time for that product. Let us know how it turns out. I'd think after 3 days the end result might be mush. But what do I know maybe it'll be better.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Nah. I think as long as there isn't a "tenderizing" agent in the injection he'll be just fine even at three days. I do think that if the flavors are in any way shape or form bold that they will likely be a very dominant part of the flavor profile, but that could be a good thing.

If you pre-slice you'll lose the moisture and your meet will be dry.

++++1 definitely slice onsite or as close to feeding time as possible. Sliced Brisket dries up fast. If you need to slice early take some beef broth with you to rehydrate the slices.

Is there a way that you can time the cook so that the briskets are done in the morning? Then you could put them into a preheated cooler wrapped in towels and keep them hot until you are going to serve it.

I think that's it! I'll just an early start tomorrow and WOW the boys!

Last edited:
Wow you injected 3 days ago? It seems like a long dwell time for that product. Let us know how it turns out. I'd think after 3 days the end result might be mush. But what do I know maybe it'll be better.

I did this last weekend for a party of 40+ and there was no brisket left, Maybe try a day, then go two days but for me three seems to work well and I haven't tryed 1 or 2 days ether.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did this last weekend for a party of 40+ and there was no brisket left, Maybe try a day, then go two days but for me three seems to work well and I haven't tryed 1 or 2 days ether.

I'll have to give it a try!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Back