Brisket On: Butcher Paper Question

HogFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Hauled my drum 2 1/2 hours away to my parents house yesterday. About a week ago I picked up a 15 lb prime brisket (packer) at Sam's and I'll give it my best shot at smoking it today. There have sure been some great posts recently on smoking brisket and I plan to try some of the techniques mentioned.

Filled the charcoal basket with Ozark Oak lump, a few Pecan chunks, and a couple of Black Cherry chunks. The IQ-110 I ordered came in late Friday so I'm trying it for the first time. The temps came up nice and right now it is holding my target temp within 2F. My only complaint is I wish the rubber hose was about 1 ft longer. I made a rain box and sat the box on the table I use for BBQ and the hose won't reach down to the air inlet on the drum.......and this is a short table!

Last night I trimmed the packer. I removed a lot of fat.......but hopefully not too much. I left the fat cap in place but trimmed most all the fat off the other side. I went back and fourth on how to season and ended up using the SM Peppered Cow with some extra sea salt, garlic powder, and onion powder and let it sit overnight.

This morning I added a bit more PC rub and put the brisket in the drum at 250F at 8:15 AM. I plan an hour or two at 250F, then 300F till the stall, wrap with BP and 350F till done.

Never found wide BP locally so I picked up a 30" wide X 30' roll of heavy brown Kraft paper for $5 at Hobby Lobby that I'll give a try. Now my question.......when you wrap with BP, do you use tape to hold the paper in place or do you wrap in a manner that the excess is tucked under the meat and the weight of the meat holds everything in place? If you use tape, what kind of tape will take the heat?

You don't need tape but I supposed you could use some masking tape if you think you need it. I just wrap the paper around briskets and let gravity hold it on. Once the paper becomes saturated with juices from the meat it will soften up and stay in place quite well.

Ok, thanks!

After 90 min the meat temp was 121F so I just cranked the dial up to 300F. I'm curious how long it will take to ramp from 250F to 300F.

With a 30" roll you dont need tape, just roll it tight, I usually wrap after 3 hours good luck brotha.

At 3 hours (right at the AustinKnight predicted) the brisket was at 164F so I pulled it, wrapped with the brown Kraft paper, and put it back on the smoker. I didn't mention this previously, but I had placed a large aluminum pan on the lower rack under the brisket hoping to catch juice I could use later for au jus. It took a bit to remove the upper rack and remove the pan while juggling the temp probes. In the end, I got very little "broth" and I left the lid off too long so the temp spiked up over 500F. It took a little 20 min for the temp to fall down to 350F and the I adjuster the IQ-110 to 350F for the rest of the smoke. I don't think I'll mess with the pan again. <smile>

I made up 1/8th cup of a mixture of 2 parts water, 1 part Worcestershire Sauce, and 1 part Tiparos Fish Sauce and poured it on the brisket before wrapping. I turned the brisket fat cap up in the BP but unsure that was the option (previously was fat cap down in the drum).

That is a good point about flipping to test for fineness. Unfortunately, I didn't do that.

I probed at 195F and it seemed it needed a bit more. Less than an hour later internal temp was 210F so I retested. Felt good so I pulled it, wrapped in towels, and placed in a preheated cooler. So it cooked quicker than expected........5 hours to 210F IT. Not eating till 5:00-5:30 so it will be in the cooler a while.

Hoping for the best!

Try to remember some pron! Sounded like it went well. I just picked up a brisket and bucther paper for a go at this. Only 18 inches wide but I'm thinking if I place the brisket lengthwise I can get a good sealing wrap with it. 1000 feet so there is room for a do over or two. Is there anything you would add to what was already posted on the other brethren threads?

Try to remember some pron! Sounded like it went well. I just picked up a brisket and bucther paper for a go at this. Only 18 inches wide but I'm thinking if I place the brisket lengthwise I can get a good sealing wrap with it. 1000 feet so there is room for a do over or two. Is there anything you would add to what was already posted on the other brethren threads?

I used 18" as well.

Based on my recent experience, I recommend more BP rather than less when you wrap. That way when the juices soak through the first layer or two, you still have some integrity to the wrap when you move it.

Better late than never........here is an I-Phone pic of the brisket I smoked yesterday. It turned out nice thanks to the info I've picked up here.

248ae4de.jpg

Looks amazing. Beautiful bark, nice ring, and moist.

It doesn't get much better than that.

El Ropo, you've given me some great advice essentially every time I've posted with questions.......thanks!!!

Back