THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flinger

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Flinger
Yesterday...

Family gave it a 9...

Women gave it an 8... said flavor was great, bark was great, tender, but a little dry. All the women got the 'lean' meat from the flat.

Men gave it a 10... same, except all got their meat from the point. (It was awesome)

So, here's the deal...

Spent about 10 minutes unwrapping the brisket to check if probe ready with hand-held temp probe.

Point and center flat was butter... probe ready.

Temps ranged from 200 to 208, in some spots. But, to be frank, wasn't really all that interested in the temperature. It was close enough.

Rest of flat was a little tight. Probe wasn't as "buttery".

At this point, I thought the brisket was off the heat a little too long with an open wrap. But, decided to wrap it back up and put it on the fire another 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, at 275 degrees, I just pulled it. Didn't even open it or look at it. Didn't probe it. Just picking it up in the wrap "felt" limp, loose and ready.

Like I said, the point was perfect. The flat was a little dry. Also, some of the edges of the point were actually burnt looking and needed to be trimmed away.

Question?

Undercooked? Then, explain the burnt edges...

30 more minutes?

One other thing... after watching a YouTube video of some dude that says we should cut "all" the fat off, I did. But, he injects. I didn't.

Could that have caused a "dry problem"? Normally, I keep the 1/4" of fat on the fat side.

Just seeking a 10, here. 9 ain't bad. But, more work to be done!

Thoughts?

I have thought a lot about this, and come to the conclusion that you're never going to get an entire whole brisket perfect. Restaurants and food trucks have the option of culling portions that aren't up to their standards.

When you cook and serve like you did, you're hanging it all out there. It sounds to me like you did very well.

I have thought a lot about this, and come to the conclusion that you're never going to get an entire whole brisket perfect. Restaurants and food trucks have the option of culling portions that aren't up to their standards.

When you cook and serve like you did, you're hanging it all out there. It sounds to me like you did very well.

Thanks. And, it was very good.

I have a great chili recipe that uses my brisket "trimmings", if ya know what I mean... you know, the stuff that didn't "make the cut" for the main meal...

I'm going to take it... just wished my flat was a little juicer...

Sometimes its just the brisket .... not all meat will be "PERFECT 10" even the higher grade stuff will vary ....

if had give one idea , when "check meat " put longer gap between checking cause when you open to check lose of heat is major if you recheck in 5 /10 min , the smoker just got rebalanced from heat loss. So go +25 min between checks

Just a question why spend that amount of time unwrapping ? Not a pro so I could be wrong but why not just stick the probe through what ever you have it wrapped with. An just wrap another piece of what ever you wrap it with After poking it. I just probe through the foil an I don’t rewrap it. I just poke through the same holes

Dont think the extra 30 minutes at 275 was necessary.
Water pan in the cook chamber?

When I pull a brisket I open up the wrap (if I wrap) and let it sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes (to stop cooking) before wrapping and placing it in the cooler to rest.
Speaking of...you didn't mention how long you let it rest?

I disagree with cutting off all the fat but that's subjective I guess.
Trim a brisket?...absolutely. remove all the fat?...NO way.
Trimming the fat was probably largest contributing factor to dryness.

Be curious what happens on your next go'round.
my suggestions...Don't trim all the fat (theres a hundred youtube vids on trimming briskets, watch Franklins), pull when you're happy with probe tender, let rest opened for a bit and then rest for a minimum of an hour.

Pay attention at 2:05 of Franklins vid.

Every smoker cooks differently, so first of all what did you cook on??? Did you use a water tray for a moist environment? When did you wrap? I see people who get stuck on waiting to wrap until their brisket hits 160 degrees, but if you like the color at 140 degrees, go ahead and wrap early which will preserve internal moisture.

I inject my flats which is an extra step and kind of a pain in the rear, but it also makes a noticeable difference for my briskets, in my smoker. Someone else may not need or want to inject. If you want to try I would give Butchers BBQ Prime injection a shot, available on Amazon. Also Kosmos Q.

How long did you rest it before you served it? Maybe it could have rested longer.

I agree trimming all the fat probably contributed most to the dryness. I'd go back to leaving 1/4" next try.

If you watch Franklins video like suggested above. Aaron is big on shaping the edges to help keep them from burning.

Just a question why spend that amount of time unwrapping ? Not a pro so I could be wrong but why not just stick the probe through what ever you have it wrapped with. An just wrap another piece of what ever you wrap it with After poking it. I just probe through the foil an I don’t rewrap it. I just poke through the same holes

I worry about shards of paper or foil getting into the meat. I've seen it when judging. Using the same holes cuts down the possibility, but there is that first puncture.

Thanks to all...

. Lang 'reverse flow" stick smoker
. Water bowl in the chamber next to the firebox
. Wrapped sort of late this time - around 172; actually considered not wrapping, but thought even if only a couple of hours it might be better to go ahead and do it
. Permanent temp probe was in the flat right under the point overlap
. Hand temp probe was used to "check". When felt "buttery" and temps seemed to be around 200-206, I decided to take the brisket off the grill and open the wrap to continue checking. Just couldn't be sure "where I was probing" through the wrap. Decide to see it for myself. Left it "open" for about 10 minutes before simply closing the wrap back up. Then, just put it back out there for about 30 minutes before removing...
. When removed, put it in a cooler and let it set for about 2 hours.
. Cut at 155

I'm my biggest critic - always playing "what if? and I should'a".

If I'm handing out the scores, I'll take a 9 every time.

Every cow ain't got a 10 brisket in it- doesn't matter whose cooking it, how long or on what. It beez that way sometimes.

How long did you rest it before you served it? Maybe it could have rested longer.

I agree trimming all the fat probably contributed most to the dryness. I'd go back to leaving 1/4" next try.

If you watch Franklins video like suggested above. Aaron is big on shaping the edges to help keep them from burning.

Yeah - I've seen that and read his book, too! Great stuff. Guess I have a problem with comprehension, uh? LOL

No... really... I usually do keep a fat layer at about 1/4"

Won't make that mistake again... I shouldn't have created another variable...

:)

Sounded like you probed the flat in the center, not at the largest end?

I used to be confused about "where" the temp reading should come from...

But, I've discovered through reading/studying/videos that the best place is the thickest part of the flat right under the flap of the point.

Having said that, I'm just using the temp to "get close" and trying to use the "feel" through the probe. Looking for butter. At all locations on the brisket.

That's why I put it on another 30 minutes - thought the flat was not as "buttery'' and had a little resistance.

Every smoker cooks differently, so first of all what did you cook on??? Did you use a water tray for a moist environment? When did you wrap? I see people who get stuck on waiting to wrap until their brisket hits 160 degrees, but if you like the color at 140 degrees, go ahead and wrap early which will preserve internal moisture.

I inject my flats which is an extra step and kind of a pain in the rear, but it also makes a noticeable difference for my briskets, in my smoker. Someone else may not need or want to inject. If you want to try I would give Butchers BBQ Prime injection a shot, available on Amazon. Also Kosmos Q.

Question - do you think the injection has any affect on the taste? And, what do you use?

Every cow ain't got a 10 brisket in it- doesn't matter whose cooking it, how long or on what. It beez that way sometimes.

Man, I'm a Texan that re-located to PA over 25 years ago. There just isn't any good BBQ places up here, so I have to do it myself.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, as the case may be), I go back to Texas regularly enough to remind me just how great BBQ can be!

My Dad and sister still live in Dallas. So, when I visit, it's on to Pecan Lodge.

Always a 10. Just incredible stuff.

So, for a DIYer, I will take a 9!

Still rather just go out and order a 10, but hey, a man's got to do what a man's got to do! :)

Brisket is probably the cut of meat I give myself the hardest time over. I'm very well versed in the "could've, should've, what if..." thoughts that go through your head when you know it can be done better, because you've had better. Then I have to open another beer, step back, distance myself from my own critique and actually listen to what my guests/family/etc are saying about it. If they are happy, then I can be happy.

Like others have said professionals and restaurants have the luxury of discarding the "not perfect" parts. DIY'ers like us tend to realize what we just spent on a chunk of meat, and don't want to make a discard or "other use" pile. We want it perfect all the way through.

Take your 8's and 9's, be proud you made people happy, especially in this time of Corona-tine as you sit back and realize just how many people out there have a hard time reading the directions on a frozen pizza wrapper. You made good 'que, get out of your own headspace and remember every cow lives it's own life.

:thumb:

Thanks. And, it was very good.

I have a great chili recipe that uses my brisket "trimmings", if ya know what I mean... you know, the stuff that didn't "make the cut" for the main meal...

I'm going to take it... just wished my flat was a little juicer...

That's me. I cooked a packer last weekend,,, and made chili this weekend with the drier edge pieces of the flat.

My two cents is NEVER trim all the fat. It's good flavor/insulation that will help all parts cook more evenly and it can trimmed when the brisket is done.

If everybody says it was good it sounds like it's a winner. Brisket is like golf, it'll keep you humble when you think you've got it figured out.

Back