THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRRH

Knows what a fatty is.
Greetings, I finally found a good local source for Western Canada beef. Purchased a 12.6 lb brisket, trimmed off about 3/4 fat and applied a salt and pepper rub and put it in fridge overnight. Fired up my DIY offset Saturday morning and put the brisket on at 9am. I used cherry and oak wood with a target temp. Of 275F but it mostly ran around 250F.
After 5 1/2 hours in the offset, rather than wrap it and keep the fire going for several more hours, I moved it inside to a table top large roaster oven where I can control the temperature …around 280-300F…save my wood, and watch some golf on TV. ( I know, I should have roughed it out feeding wood but…..)
I had temperature probes in both the flat and point and added 2 cups of water under the wire rack. I cut the flat off and removed it at 4:30 to a cooler (7.5 hr total cook— the flat temp. was 203…the point was still cooking at 192F. I took point off at 5:30 (8.5 hr total cook…point was now 203).
Rested both for 1.5 hrs.
I was surprised it only took 8.5 hrs for a 12 lb brisket….perhaps the consistent 280F temp in a moist oven speeded it up. Tasted great. Here are a few picks.
Oh, one pic shows the spare ribs I put on just before I removed the brisket.

Attachments

Last edited:
Just looking for the end product and yours looks really well cooked.

Back