THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Put all the drippings in a glass jar, put in refrig until fat rises to the top, remove fat and use the rest for dipping sauce!

:thumb:

wallace

I have actually been wanting to try this with brisket and with pork butt but I either never remember to save the drippings or they get used up in making sauce. I think I will smoke a chuck or two just to get some liquid.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

It works like crap in a shoulder...

After letting mine chill and removing the fat off of the top I just brought mine to a boil, poured it into a sterile mason jar, capped and boiled for two minutes. Do you think this would keep in a pantry or fridge for an extended period or should I freeze it if not using it right away?

After letting mine chill and removing the fat off of the top I just brought mine to a boil, poured it into a sterile mason jar, capped and boiled for two minutes. Do you think this would keep in a pantry or fridge for an extended period or should I freeze it if not using it right away?

It would need to be pressure canned to be shelf stable. Will keep in the fridge for a week or so. You could also freeze it.

Good ideas except I don't usually remove the fat....if I where to remove it I would definitely save it to fry up my eggs in.

I use a gravy separator and remove the fat. Then I'll put it in a small container and dredge the brisket slices in the goodness as I serve them.

I've also been known to doctor the drippings with just a little BBQ sauce.

Good ideas except I don't usually remove the fat....if I where to remove it I would definitely save it to fry up my eggs in.
I read somewhere (maybe another forum) where a guy saved all of his fat to deep fry duck breast in. Sounds pretty darn yummy!!!

You mean like in a pressure cooker?

Pressure canner. I can meat and stock at 12lbs pressure here in my location. The pressure is different for higher and lower altitudes. The stock/meat is shelf stable for about 5 years.

Maybe i should try and collect the brisket drippings. I have always considered it to be unusable GREASE. Maybe i should buy a separator and try it before I knock it. I cooked a 15lb packer on sunday and threw out all of the drippings. Maybe 2/3 cups worth.

Maybe i should try and collect the brisket drippings. I have always considered it to be unusable GREASE. Maybe i should buy a separator and try it before I knock it. I cooked a 15lb packer on sunday and threw out all of the drippings. Maybe 2/3 cups worth.
You don't really need a separator. I poured mine in a bowl and put it in the fridge. Once chilled the fat hardens on top and will come off in a solid disk. Then just put the remaining juice (gelatin) in what ever container that you wish to freeze it in.

The answer is after the Movie [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNl9k2bB-0Q&index=10&list=PL-FMdthfYNpRYQmOhz-Xy-koAYsi0_2K_"]Bonus Video - Pitmaster T's Flash Congeal Process (With Movie) - YouTube[/ame]

Separate the fat (either skim it off the top or use a turkey baster to pull the juice from the bottom) and add it to your favorite bbq sauce. I use about 1/4 cup of drippings to 2 cups of sauce, but your taste may vary.
IMG_008.jpg

I can recommend something like this for helping separate fat and juice..

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Separator-Strainer-Resistant-Capacity/dp/B001G8KAGE/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1481142592&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=fat+separator&psc=1[/ame]

0000887_fat-separator-jug.jpeg

Put the drippings in a cast iron skillet and dillute with old cold coffee. Stir and thicken with flour or cornstarch. You will get a deep brown chocolate lookin gravy that is a derivative of "Red Eye Gravy"

My Gawd it is good enough to dump the gravy in a glass and add Vodka

I personally prefer to use cajun Style Chicory laced coffee---oh man

This is what I was thinking.

Back