bopNgrill style Umami Burger

KC Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Dirt
Currently open are a "Burger Challenge!" throwdown, a "Fusion Feast!" throwdown, and a "As Seen On TV/YouTube". This lil gift from the heavens applies to them all.

The inspiration was the Umami Burger from bopNgrill in Chicago. It was featured on Triple D. Here's a link to the clip.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners-drive-ins-and-dives/videos/goin-the-extra-mile

First I made the mushroom duxelles. I stayed pretty close to the original but did make a few tweaks. Instead of pork fat I used some duck fat that I get from a local Thai restaurant. They have so much that they just give the stuff to me. It does have a distinct taste of five spice but that worked well in this case. Here's everything for the duxelles. Duck fat, ghee, onion, garlic, bonito flakes, anchovy, Crimini mushroom, and black truffle oil. This alone on a crostini was amazing.

20220909_183924.jpg

The burger patties were prepared with a bit of Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, and Carne Crosta. I pre-smash the patties with my tortilla press.

20220909_191238.jpg

Made the Togarashi mayo and added a little bit of Furikake as well. I mean could it really hurt at this point.

20220909_191656.jpg

I cooked the bacon on the Blackstone to get some good 'ol bacon grease going. Then seared the burgers and toasted the bun.

20220909_214140.jpg

The assembly went toasted bun, Togarashi aioli, sun-dried tomato confit, burger patty, mushroom duxelles, bacon, smoked gouda, then repeat burger through cheese, more aioli, and then the top bun.

20220909_214756.jpg

This was absolutely amazing! Needless to say it was an umami bomb and was very rich. I didn't even need a side. I will definitely be making this again!

Thanks for checking it out. Cheers!

Back