BlueDawg Brisket Day

Welcome to the dark side TexasRT, now that you've tried that method it's not likely that you'll ever go back to what you did before! Looking forward to hearing about how tender and flavorful it was!:wink:

LOL, Sorry I got involved in a card game.

At 7 hours it seemed probe tender, removed from the pit and did the 2 hour rest still wrapped in the paper. At that point I sliced, half of the thinnest part of the flat was really dry and tough. Not sure why? The rest was fairly moist, and tender. Bark was good with good color.

Summary: Cooked on the top rack of my UDS under Weber lid with no water pan or diffuser. Temp was a steady 290 for the first 2 hours and 300 for the remainder. Used my Guru so temps held steady (no big temp swings). I can see this method working real good just not sure what happened this time. Should I have used a diffuser and/or water pan? Any advice?

Thanks

Last edited:
Fat cap down? Sometimes the really thin edges will be tough. If it's really thin some will trim it off before the cook.

I know some speak highly of the paper but with foil or covered in a pan and still on the smoker you can add additional liquid to keep the meat moist.

Does the paper hold in the liquid as well as foil?

I know some speak highly of the paper but with foil or covered in a pan and still on the smoker you can add additional liquid to keep the meat moist.

Does the paper hold in the liquid as well as foil?

The drippings soak into the paper, none retained. I think the theory is the paper retains the moisture but doesn't soak the meat, thus keeping the bark nice.

LOL, Sorry I got involved in a card game.

At 7 hours it seemed probe tender, removed from the pit and did the 2 hour rest still wrapped in the paper. At that point I sliced, half of the thinnest part of the flat was really dry and tough. Not sure why? The rest was fairly moist, and tender. Bark was good with good color.

Summary: Cooked on the top rack of my UDS under Weber lid with no water pan or diffuser. Temp was a steady 290 for the first 2 hours and 300 for the remainder. Used my Guru so temps held steady (no big temp swings). I can see this method working real good just not sure what happened this time. Should I have used a diffuser and/or water pan? Any advice?

Thanks
I don't cook on a UDS but I would think that a diffuser would be a good thing to use for a longer cook like a brisket. Perhaps a water pan filled with sand or just a dry pan to deflect the really intense heat away from the meat.
I trim my fat cap pretty vigorously using the same basic cooking method and my flats come out juicy but that's on a stick burner and the brisket is never subjected to direct heat. Try the diffuser next time and I'll bet that you'll have a better outcome.:-D

I don't use no stinkin difusser that's why god put the fat cap on the brisket. I'll hack off a thin tailed flat until it is a minimum 1" thick cause it will just burn up. That piece goes into the grind later bag.

The drippings soak into the paper, none retained. I think the theory is the paper retains the moisture but doesn't soak the meat, thus keeping the bark nice.

Maybe I use too much bp but I have a good amount of liquid left in the paper. I don't think the diffuser is necessary.

I don't cook on a UDS but I would think that a diffuser would be a good thing to use for a longer cook like a brisket. Perhaps a water pan filled with sand or just a dry pan to deflect the really intense heat away from the meat.
I trim my fat cap pretty vigorously using the same basic cooking method and my flats come out juicy but that's on a stick burner and the brisket is never subjected to direct heat. Try the diffuser next time and I'll bet that you'll have a better outcome.:-D

I agree sir, I think on the next attempt at this method (and there will be one) I will either use a diffuser in the UDS OR fire up the olé stick burner offset. There's no doubt in my mind it would be perfect on the sticker burner.

Thanks for the advice...

I don't use no stinkin difusser that's why god put the fat cap on the brisket. I'll hack off a thin tailed flat until it is a minimum 1" thick cause it will just burn up. That piece goes into the grind later bag.

Lol, we don't need no stinking diffuser.
I think next time I try it on my UDS I'll try using my diffuser to assist with nature's diffuser.

I will make it work, just need to tweak a little.

Thanks

Lol, we don't need no stinking diffuser.
I think next time I try it on my UDS I'll try using my diffuser to assist with nature's diffuser.

I will make it work, just need to tweak a little.

Thanks

That's the beauty of bbq'ing. If something doesn't work then adjust and keep on cooking.

Back