BGE, Primo, or Weber 330

i've got a large and a small egg...I even work for big green egg. My only suggestion is the internal dimensions are tight if cooking for more than 4 people. Look at the Big Joe, it's of equal quality to the primo and egg, and has the most real estate.

ALCON,

This may seem blasphemous as this site seems to live and die via smoke, but I would like some help in choosing which of the three above items.

Problem: My grill (not barbecue) is about to die and I need a new one.

I use my grill predominantly for Steaks and Chicken. I do like to barbecue, but honestly it has been a few years. Regardless, Ribs would probably be the only food I would cook outside of my current. Also, I occasionally like to flash fry my steaks outside and make a pan sauce using the outside burner. I can't do it inside due to poor exhaust.

So, my issue is I WANT to try something new, but am unsure if I want to transfer to a pure barbecue vice grill. At this point, I can only afford one or the other.

I've heard GREAT things about the BGE, and yet it appears as if the Primo has a few better features (indirect and direct right out of the box, for example). But I'm obviously concerned about comments of the Primo being simply a lower quality knock off. I have a dealer next to me, so shipping costs are not an issue. Also, I would PROBABLY start off with a medium BGE or Primo Jr Oval.

Finally, I've read that ceramic cookers do NOT cook items like Steak very well due to the inability to create a mallard effect. Anybody have any news on this? If this is the case, I'm not sure if I still have a case against the 330...

Thanks!!! I appreciate in advance any help you can give me!!!

I wouldn't say that Primo is a knock off. Really nice cooker made in the U.S. like stated above. Once you get in the price range of over $800 with ceramics it really comes down to options. From Grill Dome, BGE, Primo, Saffire, etc....they all are going to have slight differences that will benefit everyone differently. The biggest bonus to the Primo is usable surface area.
For gassers Weber and Napoleon are the best bang for your buck IMO....very similar products between two.
You can't go wrong with a Weber charcoal grill....Performers with the propane burner make life pretty easy too!

Another plus for BGE

You can often find them on the floor at SAMs Wholesale Clubs.

Last edited:
ceramics are cool. if I were to get one I would get the big steel keg. won't break if you tip it over and can hook up to the back of your truck to take camping or picnicking.

Or...... you can save yourself even more money, just get the kettle and never mind the gasser. You can cook everything on the kettle - steaks, chicken, butts, brisket, turkeys, roasts, bologna....

just get the gasser and a weber kettle. yer covered !
I agree.
If you've been cooking on a gas grill for a while, going to charcoal might take a little getting used to. This way you can keep cooking the way you are used to and get into the joy of charcoal at the same time.
Good luck!

I've got plenty of kettles, and I love them. They're great tools, they're versatile, but no where near as reliable as an egg. so I can't honestly say a kettle is a perfect replacement for an egg, or any other ceramic for that matter. If you want nice, even, easily controllable long time charcoal burns. Ceramics the only way to go. no kettle will run 16-20+hrs at 225 without attention, they won't get up to 700+ to sear a steak like an egg can. bake with little to no smoke flavor. the list goes on and on

Made in USA

If buying retail new I want Made in USA stamped on it.

I bought my green egg mini new in box off Craigslist at about 1/3 retail no tax. I don't figure I helped any economy- foreign or domestic.

I love my current cooker line up.

But you know what, if the zombie apocalypse happened this afternoon my Pit Barrel Cooker is what would be in the truck heading in the opposite direction along with the green egg mini.

I certainly agree it really depends on what you like to cook. Can't go wrong with any Weber product. Charcoal or Gas. I have used them both over the years. When it comes to low and slow real BBQ a ceramic cooker would certainly do a great job. In my research of Kamado cookers, If money was no object I would buy the Primo Oval XL. More options than any other ceramic grill. I don't think there is anything you can't cook on it. That is my personal opinion. In my case money was an object so I bought the Char Griller King Griller Akorn. I am learning to cook all over again and it has impressed me every time. Good luck in your search.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming. My decision is far from made (you've actually made me hit some more websites to look!!!), but you've given good info.

Did I mention I have 3 x boys from 0-6yrs? I presume I'm going to have to cook a LOT of steaks for them in the future. But that IS in the future. Also, I'm in the military. My greatest concern with ceramics right now is simply aren't they fragile? The military repayment system for moves is wholly inadequate, and I'm concerned if I invest into something as nice as a Primo/Egg, I would want to be in a position where I'm not moving every 2-3 years.

Again, thanks gentlemen (and ladies?)!!!

Have you considered the Char Griller Akorn? It's metal, so should be much easier to move than a ceramic.

Back