THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serious question, sliding_billy, would the peas be an issue for you?

Edit: And I'm with you on some of the more exotic things I've eaten.
The one I can't get past is snake. Eeewww!

Glad you gave it an honest review lunchman, I do have some vegan friends and will cook it for them. Me I like to knock the slobber off a steer's nose and work my way back from there. After seeing the ingredients it's hard to say with a straight face it's good for you.

As an aside I day trade their stock, it's up like a rocket because some analyst says fake meat will be a 100 billion dollar business in 10 years. Go vegans!!!

It dropped like a turd in a punch bowl when Tyson announced they were going into direct competition with them.Their stock,just saying.This green chit is real.Or maybe ,,,just maybe, chit is still chit.There is definitely an interest in alternative things these days,lifestyles,foods,etc.,etc.,.I cannot believe the world we live in today as opposed to the world I grew up in 30 years ago.Mind-boggling.Oh well,it is what it is.Hell,most young' uns put ketchup on their burger anyway,what difference does it make what's on the bun,all they can taste is putrid ketchup! Rant over.

741652_1.jpg

Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!!

Veggie burger? That's a contradiction in terms. A guy can usually find burger for ~2 bucks/lb. I buy beef by the half cow from my BIL and pay less than that. So tell me why a person would even consider paying $5.50/lb for these "burgers" when you could buy the real deal for less than half the price? I guess I could understand the curiosity factor but I'm not that curios. The thread title did catch my attention so thanks to Lunchman for being brave enough to try them and write a thorough review.

I do find it a little strange that the same crowd that has problems with GMO grains eats things like this. I mean, if you have a problem with seeds being changed in a lab you should have a real problem with whatever the hell chemicals this thing is made from.

I don't think that just because it is non-gmo that folks who care about such things are necessarily running out to eat things like this. Someone can prefer non-gmo and still be perfectly fine with eating meat.

Serious question, sliding_billy, would the peas be an issue for you?

Edit: And I'm with you on some of the more exotic things I've eaten.
The one I can't get past is snake. Eeewww!

No, I love peas. I even eat the nasty ones from a can. :laugh::twitch:

I don't think that just because it is non-gmo that folks who care about such things are necessarily running out to eat things like this. Someone can prefer non-gmo and still be perfectly fine with eating meat.

But usually the type of people who don't eat meat do not appreciate GMO or any modern farming techniques.

Oddly enough, I don't know one vegetarian who is clamoring to try this stuff and the only people I know who've tried it are meat eaters.

Last edited:
I don't really have a horse in this race but I find your comment about Canola oil being terrible for you interesting. From my understanding Canola oil is a Monosaturated fat much like olive oil or nut oils, which are not considered terrible for you. Beef fat on the other hand is a fully saturated fat which, from my understanding, is worse for you than a non-saturated fat.

I could be wrong on this but overall this burger seems to be pretty much equal to 80/20 beef in terms of "healthyness" it is clearly a much more "processed" food than regular beef though.

There is a school of thought that claims saturated fats are better for you than unsaturated

David

Great review, Dom!
But I think I'll pass.
I see that stuff around town. But it gives me the willies.
If I go vegetarian (and I have before), I want to be able to recognize what I'm eating.

Except peanut butter. I don't care what's in Peanut Butter, I like it. :rolleyes:

Oddly enough, I don't know one vegetarian who is clamoring to try this stuff and the only people I know who've tried it are meat eaters.

I feel products like this are more for meat eaters who, for whatever reason, can't eat meat anymore.

As far as the ingredients go, I bet a full chemical analysis of a standard supermarket 80/20 ground beef would look just as frightening.

Back