Best Pit You have Cooked On ?

My ceramic grill made by Vision Grills! Not the best build quality but a few gasket upgrades to nomex and it runs like a dream. Just enough fire tending to make me happy and enough set it and forget it to make the wife happy. I have a pellet grill and like others said I would not be happy long term. They were right and wrong the WSM does not make me happy it is hard to run one at least the 14.5" seems to be a pain. My ceramic grill does it all though. It grills and bakes and it smokes low and slow. I can do everything with it and I can do it better than all the other pits I have owned. I think you would be hard pressed to find a more versatile easy to operate pit. It does it all and it makes me look good. I like that. I will never go back to conventional grills or smokers. This thing is da bomb diggitty.

My LSG Vertical Offset is a monster! She's a Stick burner with a warmer and can grill hot and fast too!! I have not had the oppoortunity to fill it up to capacity yet but I hope to very soon!!
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1681.jpg

+1 ^^^

Drafts like a dream. Smokes, bakes, sears and grills. I'm happy.

20141109_153535.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

20150131_174617.jpg

Hard to say, of the nice, higher end ones, cooked on Matt (Phat Matt's) Klose, that was very nice. And YeloNUTZ has a really nice large Gator that was great to cook on, those big cookers are sure fun to run.

I learned on a J&R, nothing like that, to really enjoy a great cook.

I also cooked on a 100 foot, plus or minus, cinder block pit with my dad and the men from the church, NOTHING will ever feel as good as the right of passage when I was allowed to cook with them. Cooking 1500 chicken halves for the main church fundraiser was too cool.

And getting to cook on the Central Coast, with a couple of old men, who had seen the entire evolution of Santa Maria BBQ cooking, from half steers to tri-tips and learning that style of cooking from them was also an amazing experience.

Anything I build from scrap that is mostly free. Free is for me and that includes weber kettles... Free

Hard to compare - different styles, fuels, efficiencies, flavors, etc.

WSM - charcoal/efficient/decent flavor with chunks and long burning.
Bubba Keg - lump/more efficient than WSM/less flavor than WSM, cooler to the touch.
Klose - stickburner/best flavor/less efficient/multiple temp zones
Lang stickburner/best flavor/less efficient/more even temp zone

My Lang 84. To be fair I have never cooked on a Jambo, Klose, Meadow Creek, Stumps, Cookshack etc. In my most humble opinion any stickburner will provide the absolute best flavor however.

"Favorite" could mean flavor or ease of use though.

Read up on Templetons - good but not small batch produced

:thumb:

We learned from some of TX's best. :becky:

You gotta give credit where credit is due.

I read this is from the large producer in Indiana where most Rye comes from and then just bottled by others.......

For me, I don't care what I cook on, just as long as the food comes out great! But, the best I have cooked in is a Southern pride gas over wood commercial- Meh, it was ok. I like the ones I have better.

What is the BEST pit? Tough question. I have cooked on Weber kettles and WSM's, Brinkman Smoke n Grill, numerous electric smokers, my UDS, my Treager Texas, I built a 600 gallon offset trailer rig, and I have had my Shirley 30x90 for 2 months now.

For time tested reliability, I love my Kettle. Easy to use and very versatile.
For ease of use, my Treager gets the job done when I don't have time to.
I loved my 600 Gallon rig because it represented my hard work and put out some great Q. I have used my Shirley 5 times and I am amazed at how easy it is to control the temps and put out some outstanding grub.

I believe in the power that good food has to bring people together. Big rigs are always good for getting people's attention. For that reason, I would say that the best pit I have cooked on is my Shirley. When I pull it up in front of my house, the neighbors all come out. Hanging out around the smoker with neighbors, friends and family is something that I thoroughly enjoy.

I'd go with my Green Eggs. They are the most versatile cookers around and they can do all their functions within a close enough margin that it's usually the cook not the cooker that needs improvement.

It doesn't bake quite as well as a brick oven
It doesn't smoke quite as well as an offset
It doesn't grill as well as a weber

But it does all these so well that it's going to be the cook that screws it up and not the device in all of these scenarios. The Green Egg can do it all really really well. If I had to only have one cooking device I would choose this grill. I have baked artisan breads, pizzas at 700, smoked at 250 for 24 hours straight, and grilled anything you could want in it. I have wok'd, fried, and skillet cooked in it.

Back