Best Pit You have Cooked On ?

So far the best flavor profile has been my MeadowCreek 120..... Hard to beat a RF.... The WCS has been great also. BGE XL was great for pizza and steaks but sucked at low and slow.

Next cooker will be a high end Insualted Vertical.

I haven't got to cook on it much yet but my new Lone Star Grillz vertical offset is really great. The first real cook I did on it turned out to be a day the wind was blowing something fierce and I had no problems at all keeping my temps where I wanted them.

My Shirley. I can do so much with it with the dampers and warming cabinet. Sold my humphreys to help pay for it and haven't looked back since. Still working on getting a nice seasoning on it. I also cooked on a drum I made my father over Christmas and forgot how much I liked them too. May have to make me another.

1998 Weber Mastertouch kettle. Green. If it was once a live animal it has probably been cooked on this kettle. Much vegetative matter has met their end on its grate also.

Lang 60, but you have to enjoy the process. Not a "set it and forget it" like a lot of the others.

I agree. I'm still learning things on my new Lang 60 Deluxe. It has the warmer upgrade and so far I learned to smoke bacon at a low 200* by opening the baffle between the main chamber and the warmer.
It also has a baffle to close off the main chamber and use the warmer as a vertical cooker.
Lots of great things I've yet to master.
I also have an XL BGE that works great for all night low & slow cooks. It turns out a great product but it's a little boring to me since I like nurturing brain cells while tending the fire and chewing the fat with good friends.
Side benefit is the wife thinks I'm "busy" when cooking on the Lang. Not so much when the egg is going.

Or helped Cook On? Offset or Cabinet or ?

For Me it was Muscrats Badazz Insulated Firebox trailer pit yesterday. I've cooked on a bunch of the cheap pits but never a high end pit till yesterday. Muscrat was cooking for his Dads retirement party - 3 Butts, 4 Briskets, 50 pieces Chicken and a bunch of Sausage. He told me people would be starting to show about 3 so I got there at 3. The Butts were done and resting, Chicken was about ready to come off and sausage ready to go on but the Briskets weren't close and His Dad had told everyone eating was at 4:30 ish. He had cooked at 250* for most of the day and after seeing the Briskets being stubborn he had panned and foiled the Briskets and brought temp up to 300*. When I got there he asked me to check them and see what I thought. I checked and told him I thought had a few hrs left- he said we had 1 - 1 1/2 so I said well then time to crank it up. He tossed in one small split and opened his single Butterfly Damper from 1/3 to full and within a minute or two we watched the gauge steadily climb like speedometer on a car! He closed the damper back down just a bit as needle went past 380* and it settled in at 400* almost exact within minutes!

In 1 hr the the smallest Brisket was probe tender, 2 were close and one was tight. He took the small in to rest and do other things and I moved the remaining 3 around a little. Muscrat had several things going inside so I watched the pit and sipped some Wicked Orchard Adult Apple Juice. You can see his fire from the cook chamber and of course thru the damper and I would see it was time for a split before temp would even start to fall- and since we were in a time crunch I didn't want the temps to fall off any - so I'd toss in a small split every 45 minutes. Now this was to maitain a STEADY 400*, temp never budged- I thought his new TelTru was Stuck! He says when running 250* it's a small split every 1.5 hrs with no temp drops!! The cheapo pits I'm used to cooking on its a split every 45 minutes with a 25* temp drop and then 20* upswing! Muscrats is STEADY like a UDS or Caninet Smoker!!!! :heh: about 20 minutes after the first Brisket then 2nd One probed tender so I took it in and it rested as Muscrat sliced the first then the 2nd. I had put the sausages on already and by time 2 Briskets were slicced the Sausages were ready and we pulled them off and sliced them and people started making plates. While everyone was eating the 3rd Brisket probed tender do off it came and quick rest then sliced just as the Brisket pan was being emptied so we refilled the Brisket pan. The 4th Brisjet must of been an old Jersey cow cuz it didn't give up till 2 1/2 hrs after the first one and after everyone was done eating - Good Thing we didn't need it!

If I ever get to where I can afford a High End Pit I'll be buying a Muscrat Model and saving myself hundreds and possibly thousands depending on which one I get!

Back