Benefits of Ribolator

Thanks for the input everyone. If anyone else has used the ribolator and has any thoughts, please share them here or pm me.

To sum things up, it seems like the benefits of the ribolator are:

being able to maximize full cooking space
creating a venue for indirect cooking where it doesn't currently exist
avoiding steady cooking in an area with heat variations (up or down)

Does that seem accurate?

Thanks,

Eric

No, because I did not write that particular sentence. Can you say Zinger?! :p

I see. However, when you're quoting another source you would have been correct to insert a (sic) indicating that the quoted words appear exactly as in the original source.
Let's face it, if you're going to correct others poster's spelling, you should be held to a higher standard also... Don't you think?
The ball's in your court. :becky:

Last edited:
THE BURNER THEORY!

If you take your hand and put it on a stove burner you will burn your hand. (and yes the burner is on). If you hover your hand above the burner, it will be warm or hot depending how far your hand is away from the burner, but you won't have searing flesh.

So, one way burns, and the other doesn't. So, if you where going to cook something without burning it would you put the food directly on the burner or would you hold it above the burner and let it cook slowly without burning?

THE ROL SECRET REVEALED!

The secret to the rol is to cook with indirect heat. That's it!... forget the self basting theory, even though it will do that if you have the trays filled with dripping meat, but it boils down to cooking with indirect heat.

And speaking of boiling, if you lay any food on a hot grill without watching it you will boil the juices out and have dry tough food, but if you have the food rotating in the heat the food basically just sweats, eliminating very little of that flavorful juice, Thereby your food is juicier. you just set it and forget it.

That's why everyone foils their ribs isn't it? Because if they left them on the grill for the full cook they would be burnt, dry, or tough, or all of the above. So, is foiling Q'ing? Might as well throw it in the oven.

And when you boil your food in your foil it changes the texture of the meat, and you boil away allot of your seasoning and some of the smoke flavor. So do you want to eat yummy, swollen, bloated boiled ribs or jump up and down, slap your daddy BBQ ribs? (sorry harry soo)(who has an rol by the way) there's no foiling on the rol, so your Q'ing right to the end. Just like the caveman.

You can ask any Q'er who cooks in comps if he would rather cook with direct or indirect heat. And to further prove the point, why do web heads move all the charcoal to one side of the grill and the food on the other. (INDIRECT HEAT)

So the question is, how are you going to BBQ any quantity of food with indirect heat on your weber or gasser. You can't, that little warming rack on your gasser wouldn't hold a small squirrel, and cooking on half your weber...well... you could get the whole squirrel on that, but that's about it.....

ENTER THE ROL...

So quit trying to figure out how or why it works, it just does. Did you have to understand how your car engine makes the car move before you got in it? You just know it does...do you have to know why all the voices in your head tell you to burn things or eat boogers? Of course not, you leave that to the professionals.....how did these matches get in my hand? Doh!

Just remember, the Rib-O-Lator will love you when no one else will.

No, because I did not write that particular sentence. Can you say Zinger?! :p

Yeah that whole article has B-O-B written all over it, his spelling is a notorious as poobahs! :mrgreen:

Wait... Are those your words in that post or not, Michael? There is nothing to indicate that it is a quote from someone else or a web site, so the assumption is that you wrote that. If you didn't then you really need to attribute the words to the author and state where they came from. It's bad form to use someone's material without giving them credit.

I see. However, when you're quoting another source you would have been correct to insert a (sic) indicating that the quoted words appear exactly as in the original source.
Let's face it, if you're going to correct others poster's spelling, you should be held to a higher standard also... Don't you think?

I believe (sic) indicates a mistake, and that the writer is aware of it.

Thanks for the input everyone. If anyone else has used the ribolator and has any thoughts, please share them here or pm me.

Does that seem accurate?

Thanks,

Eric

I like mine. It cooks food evenly and I like the way that the drippings add more flavor to the meat.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95550

I have not tried chicken or ribs yet but plan on it.

England needs Rib-o-lators.

I'd imagine that shipping from the netherlands to you is prolly cheaper than from the states?

While I'm sure your dutch isn't quite as sharp as your english, you could prolly give the distributor in the netherlands a call... Link to their products page with the phone # at the top: http://www.ribolator.nl/?page=products

Does that seem accurate?

Thanks,

Eric

Yeah, I'd say thats a pretty good summary... One thing that might be worth mentioning is that many commercial restaurant and purpose built comp smokers use the same method of cooking with trays that move throughout the cooker, so it's nothing new really, it's just that now it's possible to cook the same way on pretty much any gas or charcoal grill too.

While I don't think it's the right tool for every job, it is the perfect tool for many things.

Ok! My sons off the inheritance list for part of what he said and Michael is now on the pay-roll for what he said. i pay in chickens?

and good for you for doing this( nice guy you are) http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124353

I'd imagine that shipping from the netherlands to you is prolly cheaper than from the states?

While I'm sure your dutch isn't quite as sharp as your english, you could prolly give the distributor in the netherlands a call... Link to their products page with the phone # at the top: http://www.ribolator.nl/?page=products

Yeah, I'd say thats a pretty good summary... One thing that might be worth mentioning is that many commercial restaurant and purpose built comp smokers use the same method of cooking with trays that move throughout the cooker, so it's nothing new really, it's just that now it's possible to cook the same way on pretty much any gas or charcoal grill too.

While I don't think it's the right tool for every job, it is the perfect tool for many things.

All of this info leads me to suggest that at this point looking into a Ventures Forum where the ROL could be showcased at will and where questions like this could be answered by BOB would be a good idea. Many other members with products to sell have gone this route and have enjoyed the benefits very much. Just tossing it out there.

Bob

I understand the first one. In looking at the pictures it seems like there is about a 25% increase in cooking space over cooking on the grate of a 22.5" kettle.

I don't understand the second one. In all of the pictures I have seen of the ROL in use the fire is directly below the ROL. The distance may vary depending if it is in a kettle, UDS or gasser, but there is nothing between the ROL and the fire. Unless I need to relearn every thing that I have learned about direct and indirect cooking, that is direct cooking. In order for it to be indirect there would have to be a heat diffuser between the fire and the ROL, or the fire would have to be offset. What am I missing?

As far as the third one, if you build your fire right, you don't have significant heat variations (unless you want them like dual zone cooking in a kettle) and if for some reason there is a hot spot, just move the food around to compensate. We've been doing it for years.

Nope!

Here are the instructions:

"Since you found the posting on another site interesting enough to send us there, copy it here in a post or thread. If it's a recipe, add it to our recipes section, photos - add them to our photo albums. Just be sure to credit the source. Let’s continue to build the Brethren knowledge base."

This wasn't a "recipe"... so the source should not be credited.

Says so in black & white.

I understand the first one. In looking at the pictures it seems like there is about a 25% increase in cooking space over cooking on the grate of a 22.5" kettle.

I don't understand the second one. In all of the pictures I have seen of the ROL in use the fire is directly below the ROL. The distance may vary depending if it is in a kettle, UDS or gasser, but there is nothing between the ROL and the fire. Unless I need to relearn every thing that I have learned about direct and indirect cooking, that is direct cooking. In order for it to be indirect there would have to be a heat diffuser between the fire and the ROL, or the fire would have to be offset. What am I missing?

As far as the third one, if you build your fire right, you don't have significant heat variations (unless you want them like dual zone cooking in a kettle) and if for some reason there is a hot spot, just move the food around to compensate. We've been doing it for years.

A for the second question/statement, I find that the rol works really well with an offset fire parallel to the trays and the top vent opposite the fire.

As for the 3rd one, yes you can move things around, but the rol makes that unnecessary, thats especially nice if you're doing a bunch of wings, drums, thighs or split birds on the kettle.

I have found that cleaning the trays are a P.I.T.A., even when sprayed with Pam. Since I have built my UDS, my ROL usage has all but stopped. That may change in the future, but right now I don't use it. If the tray clean up was reduced to 5-10 minutes, my position might change.

Dave

Nope!

Here are the instructions:

"Since you found the posting on another site interesting enough to send us there, copy it here in a post or thread. If it's a recipe, add it to our recipes section, photos - add them to our photo albums. Just be sure to credit the source. Let’s continue to build the Brethren knowledge base."

This wasn't a "recipe"... so the source should not be credited.

Says so in black & white.

Actually, any time you are quoting something verbatim from another sours the source should be credited. You let off a critical part of our guidelines...

Brothers and Sisters,

When posting about topics that you've seen on other sites or on blogs, please include enough of the original posting so that your fellow Brethren can glean enough information here to understand your point. Don't make us leave our home to read information on another blog or website.

Since you find the posting on another site interesting enough to send us there, post enough to get a feel for it and then link to the blog. Let the members decide if they want to read more. If it's a recipe, add it to our recipes section, photos - add them to our photo albums. Just be sure to credit the source. Let’s continue to build the Brethren knowledge base.

It's OK to include links to the original posting AFTER the copy of the original text(giving proper credit), but don't be blatant about it or post gratitious links. It comes across as pimping and an effort to increase your hits. Blatent "READ MY BLOG" posts will be removed by moderators.

Because of copyright laws and intellectual property laws we should always give credit to the source when using anything from another site. in most cases, linking to the source is good enough.

But, this is off topic for the thread.

Back