THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tommykendall

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Well - just fisished 3 weeks of travel (Mon-Wed) in NY, TX, AL, then each Thurs in DC giving all day briefings. This is a Q report for TX and AL.

TEXAS:
Landed at DFW Mon evening and headed NE to Greenville. Passed 2 Soul Man's BBQ joints on the way out. Heard they're pretty good, but I didn't stop. I was on a mission to hit Randy White's BBQ in Greenville before they closed at 9:00pm. Arrived at 8:55 just before they locked the door. This joint was quite large, decorated nicely, and very clean. Not what some locals would call a "dirty spoon" place. Food was wrapped up, but still on the cutting board. Sides were still out. Ordered brisket and TX hotlinks. Both were good. Brisket (flat) was still moist, nice smoke ring, and nice smoke flavor. Beans were not great. Sauce was good. Didn't see where the cookers were - it was dark. About $8.50 for dinner.

Next day lunch - joint called Sparerib (Greenville area still). Despite the name - they specialize in beef. Small dirty spoon joint all the way. Had a brisket platter, pintos, some deep fried corn contraption (then fried okra and homeade potato chips of someone else's plate). Big ól brick cooker lined the entire back wall of the kitchen. The whole place smelled like smoke and so did I when I left. Everything really good. About $8.50 for lunch.

That night Dinner - TexMex (SUCKED)

Next Day Lunch - joint called Ernie's BBQ (Ernie is dead). This place rocked and I think they were once in National Geopraphic Mag. Dirty spoon all the way. The seats lined the left and right walls of the place, made from old wooden school seats. Could barely get my skinny ass into one. Awesome moist brisket sandwiches served on a hamburger bun with homeade fries. My friend paid for lunch - 2 double (double meat) Ernies, 2 orders of fries, and 2 teas - like $9.50 total. I went back up for another double Ernie - cost $3.40!! Kickass sauce.

If I had to pick only one place to above to return to above - Ernie's. If I had to pick one not to go back to - Randy White's (not saying it was bad by any means).

I wish I had more time to coordinate the trip and arrive on the weekend. 3 Sticks was only like 15 min down the road, and while I talked to BRD, it was too late in the day Wed to see him cuz of my flight.

ALABAMA - stay tuned

Thanks for the update! Been wondering if you was OK after last week's weather threat. Now we get to do it all again this weekend. Mark in StL PM'ed me and said he heard on the news that KC is to get 12-15" this Sunday. that's only 110 miles from me. Go north storm, go north, up through Greg and Bill's area. Nothing personal guys, just your road crews are better equiped to handle the white stuff........

Solidkick

Are you the same (I cant remember, horizontal, Long. or Lat.) as Cincinnati?

I use to speand weekends in Cincy. Got married and had a kid down there, before moving them back up to Chi town.

2 inches of snow, and they are farked for a week. 2 salt trucks in the fleet.

10" of snot here, 4,000 trucks in the 5 county area, no problem.

If I got 4 inches tonight, and my street wasnt plowed twice and salted, then something was wrong.

My diet might be sodium free, but my street aren't.

Note for all you northerners with Lawn fetishes like mine: "Why is his lawn so green"

Start spreading Limestone pellets at the end of March. Counters some of the damage salt. After last frost, and absorbtion of the limestone, nice and green lawn.

Now TK, make sure you post AL

I hope you didnt mind me giving MikeG your number. I know you didnt hook up, but he had planned on driving you to Dream Land in Tuscaloosa. Nirvana for Dreamland. I would have called Carl, and the 3 of you would have had Brethren Road Trip 1.

But your posts bring up a great thing.

Brethren Travel Logs.

This might be worthy of a seperate forum.

The way you wrote the above post, describing and rating Q joints. Would be awesome in its own forum (with no farking around). Call if " Traveling Q" or "Road Reviews" " Q Reviews" even. Then have threads by State. Reviews ONLY, no farking around.

That might be cool. What do you brothers think?

That would be real cool. A great help to those of us that travel and get to missin' some good Q. Always nice to have a taste of home.

Brethren Travel Logs.

This might be worthy of a seperate forum.

You ask, you gots... Brethren Road trips. Its towards the top. If it takes off we'll keep it, if its slow, I'll move it to the bottom or can it. Dont wwant to have to much stuff up top of the forum lists where the busy stuff is. That way we dont have to be scrolling all the time.

Back