Beef chuck roast - cut into steaks or treat like a full roast?

That thread is about chuckeye steak, which is related to, but different than, a chuck roast. Search for "pepper stout beef" on here, and give that a go; works GREAT with chuck!!

Malcom Reed at howtobbqright.com has a great chuck roast recipe for the smoker. He smokes them for a few hours directly on the grates, then pans them in some broth and covered with foil. I feel like his posted finishing temp in that recipe is too low, as it doesn't yield meat as tender as I like it. The idea is to shred the beef when it's done, and use the meat for sandwiches. After doing this for a few years now, chucks are my favorite thing to cook. Easy to make, and delicious. If you end up using his recipe, I would pull them out at about 205 internal, not the 195 or so that he suggests.

The cool thing about making chuck roast for pulling is that it's nearly impossible to fork it up. I left mine going for about 4 hours longer than expected- ended up having a few more beers at a friend's than was planned (surprise, surprise) and when I returned, the broth/onion/garlic had turned into a thick, dry, cake batter-ish substance. No big deal. I rehydrated with more broth, stuck it in the oven for another half hour at 350 and by god, it was my tastiest chuckie to date!

Chuckies are one of my favorites for smoking. I alternate between traditional BBQ rubs and Mexican style rubs to use for shredded beef tacos, nachos, enchiladas. The 205 IT mentioned above is usually what I shoot for for easy shredding.

some of my favorite (and most popular) things ive ever smoked were thick-cut chuck blade steaks, for what that's worth.

that said, many here will take a good 2" thick pork (shoulder) steak over a whole butt/pulled pork, too.

some of my favorite (and most popular) things ive ever smoked were thick-cut chuck blade steaks, for what that's worth.

that said, many here will take a good 2" thick pork (shoulder) steak over a whole butt/pulled pork, too.

Grilled chuck blade steaks are delicious! The beef flavor can't be beat and when I was a struggling young man, they were very affordable.
You can count me in that pork steak group too!

Back