BBQ smoker indoors

UDS with a chimney stack through a window insert would be fine. Open the top sash, cut a piece of wood to fit in the opening with a hole for dryer ducting. Find a way to hold dryer ducting over UDS exhaust. 12V in line blower fan should be plenty to get a draft moving then. Could basically operate it like a Guru.

Or build a smoker out of a woodstove with permanent chimney. Think Qin=Qout

A residential vent hood and fan will not work. You will need a commercial grade fan and vent hood, it will need to be positioned over the cooker with enough room to allow for catching the smoke, but, close enough for the fan to draw from the cooker. No more than a few feet.

Also, you will need a make-up fan and intake vent. It should be located close to the cooker. An open door will not work nor will a large room fan in the door. I have been through this before several times, and you need an air exchanger to move enough air to offset the draft from the exhaust fan.

I simply bought an insulated reverse-flow cabinet smoker which works perfectly fine in winter. Add a CyberQ BBQGuru and I only need to go outside to load/start the pit, put meet on, take meet off, wrap, sauce/spritz, or check for tenderness. With my ribs, I am only outside 5 times. Pork butt/shoulder 4 times...

If your leaving the garage door open all the way,.. then I don't see a prob. (for the entire cook and complete pit cool down)
Otherwise, an ez up and a bottle of whiskey.

Don't be that news story. Every year, it's bbq grill in a closed garage, a tipped over space heater or just set to close to the couch or curtains, turkey frying gone wrong, and decorated tree fire.

Regards,

Kevin

I used to cook in the garage all the time but ALWAYS with door all the way up. I doesn't help a lot with the ambient temperature but it sure does make a difference with the wind.

I have seen a few fires and cases of CO poisoning from people grilling indoors in a garage. It is not common, but I am just one responder on one shift. I wouldn't do it at home.

We could erect a poll.
What location is it most likely to find gasoline in a home?
1. Garage
2. Anywhere else
3. Does not apply

A car started in a garage in cold weather for less than 2 minutes will trip CO detectors in a 2 story dwelling.
Used to be you turn on your gas oven and wait until it reaches temperature inside your home will emit 800 ppm in an average dwelling.
In the winter I use an electric smoker in my garage with the overhead door fully open and the rear man door wide open when smoking in my garage.

How can a wood burning heat stove with a 6/8" diameter chimney some running 10-15-20' of chimney pipe work fine with no fans but a smoker under a vent hood or a smoker with a larger diameter chmneympipe over smokers pipe not ? :confused: I've seen plenty of shops, hunting/fishing cabins running stoves with doors/windows closed people working or sleeping in there for hours.

I agree a carbon monoxide monitor/detector and fire ext good idea. I have a fire ext close where ever I'm cooking grilling smoking. One stays in garage , one in kitchen and one on back porch.

Most cabins or older homes with stoves like that are not as air tight as modern construction. CO is much more likely to build up in new construction than a 100 year old home. I don't see a smoker with a stack that vents all the way outdoors to be a CO issue. I also think a commercial kitchen hood would vent fine. I do would not trust the typical residential range hood to vent everything properly. I would not be as concerned with a gas grill inside a garage with the door open, but not a charcoal or stick burner. The fire risk still applies of course, but cooking with lots of oil inside on a gas range is a fire risk too, and the cause of many kitchen fires.

Friend of mine lost most of their house to a fire started by BBQ embers in a metal bucket in the garage that were thought to be out. I would NEVER try it in my home. Too many things to go really really bad.

How can a wood burning heat stove with a 6/8" diameter chimney some running 10-15-20' of chimney pipe work fine with no fans but a smoker under a vent hood or a smoker with a larger diameter chmneympipe over smokers pipe not ? :confused: I've seen plenty of shops, hunting/fishing cabins running stoves with doors/windows closed people working or sleeping in there for hours.

I agree a carbon monoxide monitor/detector and fire ext good idea. I have a fire ext close where ever I'm cooking grilling smoking. One stays in garage , one in kitchen and one on back porch.

Sounds like Smitty's looking for a reason to bring Boom Shaka indoors! Id love to see that!

Don't get Cold down here enough to worry about it but if I was Up North I'd have a BBQ Hut seperate from the house so if it caught fire oh well.

Something like: (but with 4 walls)

Have a heated garage and set your smoker up not far from the garage door. Should only have to spend minimal time outside after you get setup.
CO is Odorless and colorless and can really mess you up! Not worth the risk!!

Back