THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brontoburger

Full Fledged Farker
My wife and I recently came back from a trip to Florida with a love for collard greens. Neither of us had ever had them before and now we can't get enough.

We went to the Ravenous Pig in Winter Park for lunch one day and greens came as a side with my pulled pork, along with black-eyed peas. Not really a big fan of cooked leaves, but I figured what the hell, I'm in the deep south at a fairly highly regarded restaurant so they should know what they're doing. It was great. Got back home and it's become my wife's signature dish. Anyone have a favorite recipe for collards or black-eyed peas that they'd like to share?

I like to mix collards with other greens like turnip, mustard, and virtually any other green leaf. Boil them down with smoked neckbones, onion & garlic. Sometimes add chopped turnips for texture. I like adding frank's to them on my plate. Have also seen others add the brine from bread & butter pickles on the plate.

We cook collards a lot in the fall. Recipe is very simple. Chop the greens a little. Boil them with your favorite bacon cut up into them. Salt to taste and add about 1/2 cup of sugar to a big pot of greens. Cook until tender. I eat mine in a bowl and pour pickled jalapeño juice or some other hot pepper sauce on them.

I seem to add the same things to both collards and black eyed peas.
Sautee onions, garlic, green peppers in bacon drippings then add (soaked) peas or greens, chicken stock to cover, smoked hocks or pork jowl.
Also I like to add either a couple of cayenne peppers or red pepper flakes to taste. Let the peas or greens simmer til tender then salt and pepper to taste. Add butter to taste too (optional)
Serve both with a skillet of unsweetened jalapeno corn bread.

Hmmmm.......pickle juice and jalapeno juice. That sounds interesting. Mrs. Bronto loves her heat. She puts asian chili garlic sauce in hers. Sometimes a little too much for my taste but it really does give it a kick.

A hot pepper/vinegar mix is a MUST on greens & black eyed peas.

Agreed. I don't know if there is a restaurant in Georgia that serves collard greens without a vinegar pepper sauce available. I smother my greens in it. It's also my favorite side dish with ribs.

ihwx.564c18ae-886d-4605-a943-23b2af7e4513.500.500.jpg

Back