BBQ on a personal level... my life

mph33

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Charlesgriet
As of late, i find myself finding any reason at all to cook. i literally have a freezer full of cooked meat, just because. i get asked all the time... "WHY". im not weird or crazy, i just have a deep desire for this hobby. do you find yourself, getting away from the wife and/or family to get to the smoker? maybe its covid 19 or im getting older. i dont know. what i do know is this... ive had a lot of conversations with myself and my creator(Odin) while grilling. i guess if any of us get enough alone time, we start to question things. something about burning wood... the fire!!!!! this hobby is much more than pits and meat. anyways, i hope all of my brothers/sisters are doing well and are enjoying BBQ like i am as of late. theres nothing like the pit. Hail!

BBQ is my Zen. Time for myself to just think and enjoy the process. I know it wouldn't be that way if it was my job. I love to cook, but I hated working in restaurants.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BBQ is my Zen. Time for myself to just think and enjoy the process. I know it wouldn't be that way if it was my job. I love to cook, but I hated working in restaurants.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I absolutely hated working in restaurants! I get asked this all the time, "why don't you open your own restaurant?" It's real simple, I suck working with other people that aren't on my level! What we have here is a camaraderie: a brotherhood and we have a simple understanding of what our passion is. Its for food and that is perfection! You won't find that in a restaurant! Most barbecue restaurants, cut corners. I understand because it costs money and time. I'd rather do what I'm doing now and enjoy what I have created. I absolutely love what we do and what we're about :)

went thru the same in my 40's, late 50's I am more into spending time with the family if I can, that's 1 reason I like the pellet smoker, less hands on more face time with folks that don't like to set around and drink beer and smell the smoke, I suppose life's a progression of changes like the seasons, wont ever quit my outdoor cooking but it changes over time.

I wish I had the time to do more of it!

Work sucks.

Definitely wish I had more time! During the lockdown I was going at least 2-3 times a week. Now in the middle of football season I have to try and find a way to be able to do it on Saturday.

I feel the same way with barbecue (pulled pork) as the OP. Lots of people freeze their leftovers, but I enjoy the cook and I say is better fresh. I love either a warm cup of coffee or a cold Mt. Dew with the smoker. Yes please!

went thru the same in my 40's, late 50's I am more into spending time with the family if I can, that's 1 reason I like the pellet smoker, less hands on more face time with folks that don't like to set around and drink beer and smell the smoke, I suppose life's a progression of changes like the seasons, wont ever quit my outdoor cooking but it changes over time.

i feel you brother. im wanting a stick burner, but... i want a yoder 640!

First and foremost, BBQ is about people. It's great fun and tasty to boot, but I wouldn't let it take me away from my family.

Now, that said, I have a freezer packed full of uncooked meat! I'd say cook it when you have occasion to eat it. If you just freeze a bunch you will end up throwing a lot of it away. The alternative is give it to friends and family!

I have found that I am more at peace with myself and all that is happening around me when I am sitting on my back deck with a nice big butt cooking in the WSM, a cold IPA beside me and I’m noodling away on my sax.

To the OP. With a freezer full of good food, Throw a block party or Family get together then start over again.

We do a lot of last minute potlucks at work so it's good to just go to the freezer and have stuff vac packed.

Bet some first responders would appreciate some que.

@MPH33 For me the distinction is whether you primarily consider "barbeque" to be a verb or a noun.

I like to barbeque (v.). I enjoy the process of preparing and serving smoked meats and accompanying dishes. I enjoy tending a pit and having people over for that communal feast.

Some people like to eat barbeque (n.). They are either (a) too busy, (b) not interested, or (c) or lack the skill to go through the process. They still enjoy the outcome (smoked meat), but would rather S&F, drive through, or mail order. There is nothing wrong with this, it is just a different view on life.

TheWife.com gives me a hard time over the amount of food I give to others, but I can cook more than I should eat.

Here is one of my favorite food quotes:

"As a food buff, I find it awkward even to be in the company of a seemingly metabolic person who has no genuine interest in vittles. Not only in food per se, but in the process of making it exciting, esthetic, and enormously enjoyable. Too many of us lack the spirit of adventure inherent in the preparation and consumption of our daily bread...
... every second New Orleanean is an epicure; alert in the appreciation of the art of dining, dedicated to the skillful use of pots and pans.
They are aware that the stomach is at least the basis of our whole existence. It is a source of strength and weakness, of health and disease, of happiness and blues.
Yet the two series of operations which mostly concern the stomach - cooking and eating - are those which many of us devote the least thought and time."

- Chef "Scoop" Kennedy, 1967

I cooked mainly baby backs and whole chickens on the weekends for a bit at a grocery store.

It was all about quantity not quality. Too many racks to remove membranes and things like that. The good part was I was cooking on a Southern Pride and know exactly what smoker I am getting when I grow up and become rich and famous. What a rig!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Back