BBQ Meatloaf

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
A recent meatloaf post had me wanting meatloaf. You know this forum does that to you sometimes (ok, always). This ground beef was to have been used in stuffed red peppers, then my thought was smashburgers, it finally wound up in meatloaf.

I almost didn't post this as it is most definitely not my best work. But sometimes you just have to suck it up and post the failures along with the good stuff.

It started out ok and looks fine. Ground beef, bread crumbs, diced peppers, diced onions, minced garlic, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce, Worcestershire, egg. And that's what turned into a problem - the single egg. Not sure what I was thinking, but at least two should have been used.

The loaf, looking pretty (but nekkid) -

WNyqmrv.jpg

I decided to adorn it with red pepper strips. There, that looks so much prettier! :mrgreen: -

6ma6YzC.jpg

Out onto the Weber it goes -

5eIuEiV.jpg

Taking on a little bit of color -

VmquQWa.jpg

Time for bbq glaze -

CL2pAFb.jpg

After about 45-50 minutes it was done, temping around 165F and looking pretty decent -

cOFyIpp.jpg

However, when slicing, it started to crumble and I quickly realized my error of not enough binder (eggs). Oh well, not every dinner can be a masterpiece. :mmph:

Sticking with the comfort food theme, mashed potatoes are a must with meatloaf. Although my wife is the master chef when it comes to mashed potatoes, I'm still living the bachelor life and will make do with my own which turned out pretty good (but I'm not taking over mashed potato duties).

Plated pics. Food styling is another one of my "needs to improve upon skills" and the blobs of bbq sauce don't help these pics. But, on the plus side, this turned out quite decent. I don't know how well it'll hold up for sandwiches over the next few days, perhaps some time in the fridge will help. Again, they can't all be winners. :icon_blush:

fKnkD4p.jpg

zBMq9LO.jpg

So, there you have it. Comfort food from the bachelor pad. It tasted a lot better than it looks but ya gotta go with the flow.

Thanks for reading through to the end of this thread.

Regards,
-lunchman

I'm going to be the first (of most likely many) that will admit to having a tasty final product that wasn't that easy on the eyes. That looks much better than some of mine and I know you enjoyed it. Hold your head high, Dom. That is great comfort food!

Pass me a plate of that failure anytime Dom! I prefer that than too much binder when the texture turns rubbery.

Gotta love meatloaf. I’ve had it thick as a Collins Street Bakery Fruitcake and light as angel food. Ate every piece of it every time. That’s the thing about smoked meatloaf, the flavor is always there.

Meatloaf is always good
Bet yours was grand.

Hey Dom,,,,when ur shooting from the hip U might run a bullet short,,,,
I think ur on target and meatloaf is on the top 10 of my favs,,,
And ,,,I think I lost count many moons ago when my wife is baking ,,,something and I hear,,,,”shoot, we ran out of eggs and We are one short,,,”
I’m half way to the store by “eggs” !!!!

Thanks all. I'm glad I posted this and didn't just toss the pics.

Adams, it was your meatloaf post which was the inspiration. That looked SO good....

Dom, it wasn't the lack of the egg. You didn't serve it on some fine Okie China. Have you learned nothing from my posts....

Seriously - its looks darn good from here.

That's some great looking meatloaf there Dom.
I don't know how well it'll hold up for sandwiches ...
This may sound weird, but maybe you could wrap it in a warm tortilla. I do that with meatloaf frequently. But then again I wrap lots of stuff in tortillas.

Back