BBQ Guru CyberQ - BEWARE!

I sent it back and they told me it had extensive water damage.
well, i had a bad probe, DOA, never used... I received the same reply. I was lucky it was just a probe.
Don't get me wrong, i like the guru, but it looks like they have "i don't GARA, we got your money already so get lost" kinda attitude...

well, i had a bad probe, DOA, never used... I received the same reply. I was lucky it was just a probe.
Don't get me wrong, i like the guru, but it looks like they have "i don't GARA, we got your money already so get lost" kinda attitude...

I don't know the history of this company, but I get the feeling and impression that the present day folks running this outfit, did not build the company. If they were smart, they would try and build the customer base and protect the brand name.

Interesting. Many companies abandoned the "customer is always right" mantra decades ago. Their first commitment is to their employees and by transference these happy employees loaded with job security and integrity make it to the customer. If anyone is interested Google "customer is always right". Try writing a complaint to Southwest Airlines- you'll most like get a "we'll miss you -fly somebody else" response. Hand signed.

I've got no reason to think you are other than right, and I wish you well. But the CIAR- gone

The philosophy I always taught to my employees when I was in business was that the customer might not always be right, but he was always our customer, and we wanted to keep it that way. So we always went as far as we could to mitigate a situation. There are times when nothing works. I have "fired" customers before.

As a Customer Service manager, in my experience the customer may be right. Regardless, how do we get past this issue. If they are seeing this issue constantly what are they doing to improve their product? They don't know the environment you have kept it in, how you have treated it, none of that. Heck, as far as they are concerned you may have been washing dishes and knocked it into the sink.

I've been flat out lied to by customers, in my business that irks me. So I don't blame their customer service for being defensive.

They should be fixing their issue for all their customers though, conformal coating isn't that expensive.

Thats surprising to hear. A little while back I knocked mine off the table and the screen came loose inside the unit, I shot them an email and they said to send it back to them and they fixed it free of charge all I paid for was shipping.

I have 3 guru controllers , the wifi, dx2, and the battery partyq, they are solid, I don't run them as sealed as you do I'm guessing you got condensation from it being so sealed up. I run an upside down ziplock bad on mine never had an issue with any of them, it's the same with cell phones, or any other portable electronics, they just know it's wet not how it got that way. I work at a car dealer and the customer is always right there it sickening, we pay for some very stupid stuff it's insane I don't know how they do it

I think the $85 is for a replacement card. The card is a bunch of ICs and connectors only. Absolutely no wires to come loose when you open the case and swap the card. It's an amazingly engineered device when you see it without the case.

I have had two customer service calls in my 3+ year CyberQ Wifi experience. The first time it had to be replaced within 6 months due to an early death not caused by water. They sent me a new unit AND paid for the old unit to go back, as you would expect for a relatively new unit. They threw in a full set of probes for free. The second time it had been accidentally dropped in the kitchen at the 3-year point of ownership. It was dead and didn't read the probes. They gave me a similar deal as the OP to upgrade to a new one that had a better/newer/longer range "N" Wi-fi chip. I'm completely satisfied with my experiences with them.
This is not an answer to the OP about their particular issues. Just a statement that for me, I have only good things to say about the company.

I hope you get this worked out. My dealing with the guru people has been top notch. Going to get another wifi unit this week.

I originally bought a PartyQ from a dealer and not direct. The unit arrived DOA. The dealer not only bent over backwards on the return, but offered a deep discount on a DX model, as the PartyQ was out of stock.

It doesn't help the OP, but for future buyers - there are benefits when buying from a dealer.

In the end the Guru is just a teaching tool, i have a dx and a PQ, used them until i figured out my cookers then did not use them at all. now i dont need them even in dead of winter, and thats -18 for a high. I understand the need for some to have set and forget at comps or home and they do come in handy however if you rely on anything other than yourself then your under estamating your own man fire abilities,

Doesn't matter, it's only four months old. Customer service should've
been all over this, falling down to keep the customer.

If and when I need another therm, it won't be that one.

I have no knowledge of your personal situation here, so I feel sorry for you that your unit is no longer operable.

I do not know your specific situation here and have no knowledge of your situation here, but I am in the electronic service business. Once the case of any electronic device is opened and the circuitry is exposed, water/liquid damage is more than obvious and cannot be mistaken for anything else. You just can't make it up and say it exists without obvious evidence.

I've had customers lie about not getting their electronics wet only to find water stains inside the case, on the circuitry, finding them coated with with a thick film of evaporated soda, or encrusted in oxidation of the traces and solder points. I usually take pictures of the damage and the stains and send them to the customer before they come to retrieve the unit.

As far as the customer always being right, I agree up to the point where obvious contrary evidence tells a completely different story.

This does not mean that you yourself got the unit wet, it could have happened in the distribution chain where it was covered up, and over time the oxidation build-up caused individual components and/or circuitry to fail.

I hope you can rectify your current issue with your failed unit.

Back