BBQ for the Homeless -Veterans Edition

Great Diesel!!

this helping people stuff is contagious!!

I have started the ball rolling, you guys are picking up that ball and running with it!!!

can you feel the love!!!!!???

Just wanted to bump this back up

Its getting close, we could really use some help for the cause!!

We have enough volunteers but can always use more!!

any other assistance would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

This is going to be a great time!
We're going to be cooking 260 lbs of pork butts and about 50lbs of chicken.
Plus all the sides but those will be handled with the help of their chefs, and any of the Brethren that are able to make it.

Good morning, yesterday I went to the support group meeting for the former POWs in Ann Arbor. This was quite a group and an experience for me.
I heard a 93 year old vet tell his story for the first time of his capture during the battle of the Bulge and experience as a POW. As well as a couple more vets tell their stories.
This truly tugged on my heart. No matter what you've read or seen on tv the story coming from the vet in person is truly a moving experience.

Well after that they introduced me and I got to speak to the group for a few minutes and tell them about myself and that we plan to do their summer picnic for them.
This will be on July 10th which is a Thursday.
I'll be doing a couple of briskets and they requested some ribs too.
I said the menu would also have some baked beans, cole slaw and potato salad.
Now the group size has grown from around 40 to 60+/- so I'm going to need some help on this. I talked with Brian yesterday and he's going to try and make it.
But any other help would be greatly appreciated and would mean a lot to these men who served and suffered for our freedom. No one has ever offered to do anything for this group before so they are really looking forward to this.
Thanks guys and gals for checking in and helping in whatever way you can

So is the picnic on July 19th or on the 10th? (or both?)

I am trying to see if it is something I can help with, but living 3 hours away and having a baby due end of July I don't know if I can help.

Mike-

there are actually 3 events that the BBQ for the Homeless & Veterans team is working on.

The first one on the calander is for the Wounded Warriors event on June 28th, Diesel Dave has a seperate thread on it.

Second is the POW event Dave is heading up on July 10th, this one just has been made offical in the past day or so

Third is the Michigan Veterans Foundation Stand Down Event that is July 19th at their facility in Detroit.

We are also working on a drive thru BBQ with PBJ Outreach, a homeless charity fundraizer. We hope to do this in August but details have not been finalised.

thanks for the interest and any help you or anyone else can provide!!

I am going to be picking up the smoker donated by Paul Shirley (Tuscaloosa Q) of Shirley Fabrication hopefully end of next week. Paul is building me a cooker to use at these and other upcoming events!!

Thanks again Paul!!!

Back