BBQ for the Homeless -Veterans Edition

Random acts of BBQ, love it!!!

Food brings people together. Thanks to all of you for making this happen.
This is also one of the types of cooks I have envisioned doing once my build is complete.
Fundraiser for Boyscouts, Fireman/police, and the American legion. I will also look into the VA.

Wow, this is amazing. I'd be interested in doing something like this in my area. What kinds of meats are you cooking, and what kind of cooker are you using?

Right now we are doing pulled pork, chicken, beans. Sides are still being worked out, coleslaw, corn on the cob maybe, smoked veggies. The butts will be done on stick burners, the chickens on UDS's and Kamado's.

To be more specific on the stickburners, Diesel Dave is bringing his Lang 84 and I will have the 60" Shirley Fabrication custom model generously donated by Paul and Tyler Shirley

Thanks again guys!!!

I found out yesterday that a gal that works in the same building as me stayed there years ago after getting out of the service and lost her job after a few short months due to the economy and had no where to go. She was the last female to stay there. The new facility they are building will allow them to house females again. She is excited about this and is going to get more volunteers and possible donations. Also for the PBJ event. This Friday, the facility I work at is collecting $$ for this veteran's facility.

Wow that is awesome Tom :thumb:

I'm really looking forward to this cook for the vets, it's going to be a great time for sure.

And I have a Lang 60 Deluxe, not 84 :heh:

Well the vets got more than a van load of clothes, shavers, CD's, tooth paste adn brushes etc plus the collection $$. I got to meet a few, most were too busy loading all the stuff. They are looking forward to our event !

great work Tom!!
Did you get to talk to Tyrone?
It wasn't anything that I have done, except to get the word out. I believe I saw him, but he was runnin the show and in charge trying to get everything packed up. If they were able to getting everything into the their van, I know they did not have the room for all the vets. I had to get back to work and did not get a chance to talk with but a couple of guys. Tazia was there ( the gal at work who stayed at the vets facility till she got on her feet) helping to make sure everything ran right. She joined this site after we had talked at the beginning of the week as she wanted to get involved with what you have set up Brian here and PBJ). Hopefully she posts about all the festivities. There was presentation given, but I was not able to get off when it was presented. All week they had boxes out for folks to drop off clothes and supplies, and folks there at Meritor stepped up
and fill the boxes.

Fellow brethren, you can get involved if interested, I came across a fellow who has his own small church and feeds the homeless at his church 1 a month. I smoke a couple butts etc and give them to him on sat so they can prepare for Sunday's meal. He picks up the homeless and brings them to his church for service, and then they get a full meal with all the fixin's. I've done it twice so far and more to come ( they requested the pulled pork again). Like Dave and Brian have stated, a little bit of looking and you should be able to help locals to you. I'm fortunate enough at this point in my life to be able to afford to do this.

I have nothing to add that will help, buy Kudos to you lot.
Great thing you are doing.
:thumb:
so great add another one,:thumb:

That was great Tom! Glad you and your company got to help them out. :thumb:

I'll be doing a smaller cook for the former POW's group in Ann Arbor in July as well.
There's only going to be 40 people at the most according to the folks I've talked with.
I'm going to do a couple briskets for these guys, since there's such a small group.
But if anyone is interested please let me know.

The cook for the MVF is going to be a real good time and I know we're all looking forward to it

Back